From: Sursound <sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu> On Behalf Of Jack Reynolds
Sent: Friday, November 3, 2023 7:10 AM
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] A comparison of fifteen ambisonic microphones

Right. I see.

Thanks for the clarification.

You pointed out various things you thought were errors, which no-one else
thought were errors, and we didn’t resolve anything at all.

I think it would be the right thing to do to outline your issues here to
prevent any further doubt being cast on the study. The ‘discussion’ on Facebook
was a farce and I would rather not repeat that here.

As I remember you thought it was an unfair comparison because your mics are
less sensitive, and that meant they would need more input gain and that this
would unfairly increase the noise floor?

We added a second recording at an increased gain setting and proved that
assertion to be incorrect. If a Zoom F8 mic preamp isn’t good enough….?

Your second assertion was that comparing to a KU100 was an unfair comparison
because a real binaural mic has real ITD. Your solution to this was to use your
favourite technique of bilateral ambisonics, which would mean finding two of
every mic, two recorders and twice the number of channels, which seems like a
waste of time effort to me.
That point raised some interesting discussion regarding higher order mics
resolving ITD better than lower order, and various approaches including first
decoding from ambisonics to SPS/T-Designs before binaural decoding as that
could potentially render ITD better.
We tried that and it didn’t sound any better… so we went back to a straight
ambisonics to binaural decode using Sadie ii KU100 HRTFs. Every mic treated the
same way, with no exception.

What else was there?

I seem to remember you didn’t like the Schoeps ORTF3D array being in there for
comparison. I’m still not sure why. It’s a spaced 3D array, which will
obviously sound different from the near coincident arrays, but does that matter?

What else was there?

I really do want to resolve this, in public, so we can draw a line under it
once and for all.

Please just say what you think should be corrected, and why.
Also, if you can find a single person that agrees with your assertions I would
love to hear their opinion.
From the overly lengthy discussion on Facebook I don’t recall anyone agreeing
with you. Hence my position that there are in fact no errors in our method.

The recordings are there for anyone to study.
If your assertion that there was an error in the process, it casts doubt on our
study and therefore the usefulness of the files.

If you are unable to outline what those errors are - I can only assume there
are in fact no errors, and you are not acting in an honourable manner.

Apologies to the other Sursounders if this is out of line. Any input would be
gratefully received.

Thanks

Jack

Sent from my iPhone