Thanks Fons.

This is exactly the kind of input we need.

I ran an equivalent input noise test on the Zoom F8 last night, in the standard
manner of soldering a 150 Ohm resistor across pins 2 and 3 of an XLR, for a
dummy load.

I can confirm relationship between input gain and mic pre noise floor is
absolutely  linear between 55dB and 75dB of gain. I.e when you drop the gain
5dB, the noise floor also drops 5dB. The relationships deteriorated by 1/3dB or
so between 50dB and 40dB.
Below 40dB gain the EIN performance deteriorates more severely.

I will update the doc in the gdrive folder to include a graph of this
behaviour.

The noise floor of the F8 mic pre is about about 10dB below the noise floor of
a single tetramic capsule at 38dB gain at 1KHz.

At 58dB gain, the noise floors are 27dB apart, which is a considerable
improvement, indicating that Tetramic and Zoom F8 owners, of which I imagine
there are far more than tetramic and Millenia HV3 owners, should ensure they
set their gains above 50dB to ensure best noise performance.  Using a Millenia
pre, with 6dB better EIN than the F8 would be a further improvement.

I will therefore use the 58dB tetramic recording as a more fair comparison in
the test.

I also need to repeat the test with an 80 Ohm resistor load for a more accurate
comparison with the Tetramic as the lower output impedance may have an effect
on the noise floor at lower gains.

Thanks again for your input. This is the sort of discussion I hoped this study
would produce. It’s easy to prove things one way or another when you have a
starting point to work from.

Just for the record, and for transparency, am I right in thinking you work
closely with Len Moskowitz and CoreSound on the development of the Tetra VST A
format to B Format encoder and calibration method?

Cheers

Jack

Sent from my iPhone