On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:56:52PM +0200, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have taken the suspend-devel mailing list into CC, maybe somebody over
> there has an idea.

That seems like an implicit bit of advice :), so I've just joined the
list. Thanks!

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 12:06:58AM -0400, Benjamin A. Okopnik wrote:

> >     sys_vendor   = "Acer"
> >     sys_product  = "Aspire 2010"
> >     sys_version  = "Aspire"
> >     bios_version = "V1.30"
> >
> > Result categories:
> > {1} - After resuming, the HD light blinks once; after that, the
> >    system responds to CLI commands (e.g., HD shows activity on
> >       'ls -lR /tmp') but the display stays dark
> >
> > {2} Resuming causes the screen to display shifting multi-color
> >    columns; no response to keystrokes
> >
> > {3} - No response to keystrokes
> >
> > {1}
> > s2ram -f
> > s2ram -f -p
> > s2ram -f -p -s
> > s2ram -f -p -r
> > s2ram -f -p -s -r
> > s2ram -f -a 2
> > s2ram -f -p -a 2
> > s2ram -f -p -r -a 2
> > s2ram -f -p -r -s -a 2
> >
> > {2}
> > s2ram -f -s
> > s2ram -f -s -r
> > s2ram -f -s -a 2
> > s2ram -f -s -r -a 2
> >
> > {3}
> > s2ram -f -a 1
> > s2ram -f -a 3
> > s2ram -f -a 1 -s
> > s2ram -f -s -r -p -a 1
> > s2ram -f -s -r -p -a 3
>
> Ok, so "s3_bios" (-a1, -a3) lets the machine hang in the BIOS.
> Restoring the VBE state (-s) without posting first (! -p) lets the video chip
> go wild somehow (shifting color columns).
> VBE POSTing (-p) or doing just nothing lets the machine wake up properly, but
> video does not wake up.

Good summary, one I didn't have quite enough knowledge to assemble.

> Recent s2ram versions (might be that you'd need to use the CVS version, i am
> not sure) also have an additional workaround, "VBE_MODE", switch "-m", but
> from your results i doubt that it would help significantly. "s2ram -f -p -m"
> would be the suggested combination.

I've pulled down the latest CVS snap, compiled everything, and tried the
above in several combinations, along with varying the LILO command line:

vga=0 noacpi init=/bin/bash
vga=0 acpi=off init=/bin/bash

The 'acpi' options don't seem to have much effect; leaving 'vga' at the
value set in my '/etc/lilo.conf' (0x317) turns those {1}s into {3}s
(i.e., instead of waking all but the video, the only thing that comes on
is the WiFi light, and there's no response to any keystrokes.)

In short, no change.

> What video card does this machine have?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lspci|grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon
9600 M10]

> Did you try if you actually works if
> you try it from X? (sometimes the X drivers are a bit more clever than we are
> about the restoring and reanimating of graphics chipsets). From the failure
> mode i'd guess it is an ATI card?

Yes and yes. The result is {3}.

> > Thanks for your effort, and please let me know if I can help test this
> > in any other way.
>
> Don't give up and try it again from time to time :-)

Will do - thanks!

* Ben Okopnik * Editor-in-Chief, Linux Gazette * http://LinuxGazette.NET *