>So what effect could this have on the famous Hubbert's Peak of fossil
>fuel supplies down whose steep slopes we'll allegedly soon be
>tobogganing towards the end of CAWKI? Also, how do these apparently
>regular accidental discoveries of "new" energy resources reflect on
>all the assurances we've had that current knowledge of the extent of
>fossil-fuel reserves means that much more than it did in the past
>(damn all)?
>
>Not that Hubbert's Peak makes much sense to me anyway, even without
>methane hydrate, since there are immense reserves of coal and
>long-established technology for converting it into fuel. Nor does
>that make much sense because climate change will inevitably change
>the whole ball-game.
>
>Keith

A few quick points:

I don't think mining this stuff is without its hazards.  I think that anews
story I read last year implied that it was in a relatively delicate thermal
balance, or something, and one wouldn't want to tip that balance.  I'm sorry
that I can't be more specific or accurate.

Ocean-releases of Methane bubbles have been suggested as a possible reason for
"Bermuda Triangle" mysteries (i.e.: they could kill folks on ships or affect
planes' flight).

I agree with your "damn-all" how this sort of requires a re-working of
assumptions, but on the other hand, I'm a fan of human industry, and if we can
make use of this methane without overly upsetting some pre-existing balance of
nature, then I say it's an interesting prospect.  The Second article mentioned
some very interesting claim as to a find that there is a rapid rate of new
formation of the Methane.  Now *that* would be *really* interesting.  Almost
like trees and biomass growing all the time on land, so if you harvested
only-so-much it would be a renewable resource or at least its finite nature
would be much-extended.

The second article also talks about involvement in the global climate cycle of
these hydrates.  That sounds like it would ask for more study before we mine it
as an alternative to petroleum.  As you say, the bottom line here is Global
Warming.  If we can find some way to make non-renewable fuels less-damaging
under Global Warming Theory (scrubbing the atmosphere?  Carbon sinks?) then
maybe the Global Warming objection could be changed or modified, but until then,
it is hard to see using newly found non-renewable hydrocarbon assets with
abandon.  They would seem to just continue to make things worse.

MM

>Among the most surprising findings of the recent offshore drilling
>was the fast rate at which gas hydrate is forming.

>Ocean drilling plays a critical role in addressing questions about
>hydrates because it provides the only means available of directly
>sampling the material and the sediments that host them deep beneath
>the seafloor. In 1995, ODP researchers drilled into gas hydrates in a
>relatively stable area off the U.S. east coast. Scientists have
>estimated that area could contain enough methane to supply U.S.
>energy needs for more than 100 years. They also found evidence
>suggesting that hydrates are involved in the global climate cycle,
>and that they can cause massive landslides.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM