>Duh, yes. Focusing on Hubbert's Peak commonly leads to that omission.
>Mere substitution of fossil fuels is not the answer. But if you
>consider climate change, the need for reduction is obvious.

So long as we have something like political-economic systems that are oriented
to the idea that one can place "increased demand" on the system and simply pay
more and suppliers will build more supply, then I don't see much way, by a
simple market system, to curb the appetite for energy.  I am open to suggestion
as to how the system should be changed, or guided, in reaction to what is a
worldwide economic and environmental threat.  I think innovation is more
important, and harder, at this basic level of addressing: how do we set up a
system that can have some internalized "cognizance" of precautionary principles
without sacrificing principles of freedom.

Some advocates of discussion of worldwide-disaster enviro issues are doing in
order to call for some curb on freedom, or without proper respect for freedom's
value.

So, advocates of freedom develop the idea that all enviro discussions are just
there as a pretext to attack freedom without regard for its value, and they, in
turn, are sometimes shallow and refuse to acknowledge the science or need for
caution that science seems to imply.

So, I think the hard innovation will come when we can figure out a way to get
our system to respond better to pressing worldwide environmental issues, *if*
they're genuine, without sacrificing hegemony of nations or individuals.  And it
would be nice if we could have a discussion of this and figure it out sometime
before 2414 or whenever.

These are my tentative opinions anyway.  I think an opposite case could be made
that freedom is freedom and screw the calls for global enviro concern because
they can't be consistent with freedom.

Since no one I see or hear seems to be discussing any of this, I'm a bit at odds
to form a clear opinion, though I can do so, it would be nice to see if anyone
else sees the issues as I do.  I think it's much easier to do a global
scientific research project than it is to figure out the best philosophic
political way to approach how to revise (if at all) our system, and whether it's
even appropriate to speak of revision on a macro scale, where hegemonous
countries and hegemonous individual human beings are involved.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM