>Come on Keith, et al.
>
>There ain't no debate over diesel, not unless you want to keep
>whackin' your puddin'.
>
>Todd Swearingen

Not enough debate. More than there was, and a legislative push by
John Dingell, but still not enough. US 1%, Germany 37% - which
Liedtke says would be the case in the US too if consumers were given
a choice.

http://www.dieselforum.org/inthenews/boschspeech_080702.html

Diesels Are Ready. Why Aren't We?
Kurt Liedtke, Chairman, President and CEO
Robert Bosch Corporation

Thank you Dave. Good afternoon. It is a pleasure to be on this panel
with 2 prestigious colleagues. I feel a little bit troubled by the
theme of this conference - Fast, Fun and Scary. It sounds like the
title of a Spaghetti Western Movie - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
I guess the expectation is that Tim shall be the fast one, Bill the
funny one and I the scary one. So I shall try to stand up to the
expectation and talk to you about something really scary - diesel in
the United States.

My message will be simple this afternoon. I am here to convince you
that the diesel engine is absolutely THE most logical solution to
today's energy issues in the United States. I believe it with my
heart, my soul É and my brain.

At the end of my presentation, I hope you will agree that today's
diesels are "Good. Clean. Fun." And not scary at all.

It is no secret that Bosch has high volume on diesel powertrains. In
fact, many in the industry consider us diesel experts. So, you may be
thinking "of course Kurt Liedtke wants us to think diesels are
greatÉhe stands to make a lot of money from them." Well, we can
forget about the money part. After all, Bosch is an auto supplier É
and we all have our experiences when it comes to making money in this
business.

But you are right when you think about competence in powertrain
technology. Bosch is a technology leader. The definition of a
technology leader means that one is well versed and capable in all
areas related to that technology, whether it's antilock brakes (ABS)
and vehicle stability control systems (ESP), or diesel and gasoline
powertrains. To be a powertrain technology expert therefore, Bosch
must have great knowledge in all powertrain options.

So, whatever the future holdsÉgasoline-powered, fuel cell, hybrid or
diesel É Bosch must provide - and in fact do have - the technology to
be part of the solution. For example, we just helped Audi take the
top 3 finishing positions at this year's 24 Hours of LeMans with our
advanced gasoline direct injection system. This technology is already
available in Europe and is coming to the U.S. soon.

I will tell you, however, that I am absolutely convinced that diesels
hold the very best promise for this nation. Right now. Today.

Let me try to explain.

For most of my presentation today, I want to clarify that I will
compare the U.S. strictly to Europe, for simplicity's sake.

In Europe, diesels have quickly gained acceptance. Look at the
numbers in the five largest countries in Western Europe. In Germany,
diesels accounted for 37 percent of car sales in 2001. In France,
that number was 62 percent. The U.K.: 22 percent. Italy: 41 percent.
Spain: 55 percent.

And the U.SÉ.1 percentÉand that's if we round up.

Overall in Western Europe, diesels account for 39 percent of new car
sales. And according to a study by Schroder Salomon Smith Barney,
that number will reach 45 percent by 2005. And, if you take the new
premium luxury sales in Europe, the number is higherÉsubstantially
higher at 70 percent.

Now, before we jump to conclusions about these numbers, I would like
to paint a picture of the United States in the year 2010.

Let's assume that the share of new vehicles sold in the U.S. remains
99 gasoline vehicles to every 1 diesel through 2010. Here is what our
market might look like in 8 years:

* The average sticker price for a new vehicle would be $35,000.
* It would cost us approximately $2 per gallon of gas at the pump.
* The corporate average fuel economy, or CAFƒ, would be approximately
24 miles to the gallon.
* We would consume 9.5 million barrels of oil a day for transportation.
* And we would emit nearly 450 million metric tons of greenhouse
gases each year.

Now, using a model set up by the Department of Energy, let's look at
what happens when we add diesels to the market. If we assume, for
example, that diesels take a 40 percent market share of new vehicle
sales by 2010 like in Europe, the United States looks much different.
It is important to note that this assumes a 40 percent share of new
car sales only, so we have taken into account the millions of
gasoline powered cars already on the road. This makes the results
even more impressive. The change in vehicle price is slight, and take
notice of these improvements:

* Our overall consumption would drop by approximately 300,000 barrels
per day, which equates to an annual savings of $9 billion.
* The average cost of a gallon of diesel fuel is $1.90.
* Our CAFƒ shoots up to 28 miles per gallon...
* ...which opens room to sell the larger, high-demand vehicles - the
SUVs, wagons, luxuries and minivans. That's a strong business case
for diesel.
* And just look at greenhouse gas emissions. Since we're using less
fuel, our emissions will be directly and positively impacted.
Annually, we will decrease our emissions of greenhouse gases by 5
million metric tons.
* And the most exciting improvement, at least for me personally, is
performance. You do not sacrifice performance with diesels. Quite the
contrary. You are gaining performance with clean diesels as compared
to gasoline driven vehicles. I will explain this in greater detail
later in my talk.

Diesels paint a nice picture, don't they? And you should have found
more details on diesel's benefits in a handout at your seat. Of
course, this just compares them to gasoline powertrains. I did this
because, in reality, these are the only options that are available
today.

It is true that fuel cells have gained attention recently. And it is
also true that the technology offers much promise to the industry and
consumers in the area of emissions and foreign oil dependency. Fuel
cells won't likely gain mass consumer acceptance for at least 2
decades. But can this country really afford to wait?

So why are we waiting? I would like to examine the topics of the
energy debate, comparing our 5 options:

* traditional gasoline
* diesel
* fuel-cell
* electric
* hybrid

The first topic of the debate is availability. Although I have
already mentioned this, it is important to point out that the only
options available today - meaning they could be on the roads as a
viable solution for the majority of drivers in the U.S. - are
gasoline, diesel and possibly hybrid. This eliminates electric and
fuel cell. Diesel technology exists, and it requires little change to
the design of today's vehicles.

Next, performance. Again, fuel cell and electrics are eliminated.
Yes, they are both impressive technologies and hold decent promise in
20 to 50 years from now. But today, their performance can not compare
to the power of the internal combustion engine.

I am not an engineer by trade. But let me briefly explain how diesels work.

Unlike a gasoline powerplant, diesel engines do not use a spark plug
to ignite fuel in the piston. Instead, diesels draw air into a
combustion chamber and compress it to such a high pressure that it
gets hot. Fuel then ignites from the heat of the compressed air.

As a result, compression ratios in a diesel engine are much higher,
which translates directly to greater power and efficiency.

For example, let's compare 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees sold in Europe, one
with a diesel and the other with a gasoline powertrain. It's the same
model, but the displacement is a bit different. The gasoline model
has a 6 cylinder, 4.0 liter engine, versus just a 5 cylinder 2.7
liter diesel engine.

Listen to these numbers, which are straight out of Grand Cherokee literature:

1. Torque is 295 Newton meters for the gasoline; 400 for the diesel.
For those non-engineers in the room, torque loosely translates to
power. Which means, even with the smaller engine, the diesel is able
to tow equal weight as the gas, but can tow it further and with
greater acceleration and power. The diesel model clearly wins.

2. Carbon dioxide emissions are 600 grams per mile for the gasoline;
413 for the diesel. Again, diesel wins.

3. And, in U.S. terms, fuel economy is 15 miles to the gallon for the
gasolineÉand 24 miles to the gallon for the diesel. Translated into
driving range, the gas vehicle can only travel 300 miles on a tank of
gas while a diesel can go 480 miles. That's a 60 percent jump in fuel
economy!

When it comes to performance, diesels make sense.

If you haven't driven a new diesel recently, you should. They are
clean. They are fast. And they are fun. In fact, that's why I drove
one to this conference. It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We also brought a
Volvo S80, a BMW 530, and a Chevy Silverado with us to Traverse City.
All of these cars are currently in high demand. But aside from the
Silverado, you can't purchase any of them in this country.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is parked outside at the end of the hallway
to your right as you leave this room. During the break, I invite you
to take a look at it. I understand the University of Michigan's solar
car will be out there as well.

Of course, the biggest topic in the energy debate is emission
regulations. The rap on diesels is that they are noisy, smelly and
dirty. Let me address each of these quickly.

I invite each of you to take the diesel challenge. Take a ride in a
clean diesel car and see if you can tell it's a diesel simply by
listening to it.

The same holds true for smell. Put a diesel and a gasoline vehicle
together and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart based on odor.

You may have heard about the 'handkerchief test.' John Horne,
chairman of Navistar, and his management team, have been distributing
white handkerchiefs to industry and government officials throughout
the country, inviting them to touch, feel and smell the cloth. Each
handkerchief was held over the exhaust tailpipe of the company's
'Green Diesel Technology' school bus for one minute while the
engine's idle was turned up. The handkerchief is clean and odorless -
just like the exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe of a clean
diesel vehicle.

When it comes to noisy, smelly and dirty, today's diesel is not
yesterday's diesel. Today's diesel is high tech, in every sense of
the word.

This includes emissions.

The fuel efficiency of the diesel is directly related to lower
emissions of carbon dioxide, which is a greenhouse gas and is
associated with global warming. The conservative average is that
diesels improve fuel economy by 25 to 40 percent. At Bosch, we
believe that number is actually between 40 and 50 percent. That means
that a diesel vehicle will, on average, use 40 percent less fuel to
do the same job as a gasoline É which equates directly to a 40
percent cut in CO2 emissions.

Incidentally, the U.S. is the world's largest emitter of greenhouse
gases. The potential reduction in CO2 emissions through adoption of
the diesel in passenger cars is staggering for this country.

Two other types of emissions are worth examining. They are
particulate matter and nitrogen oxide. The industry has made great
strides in both of these areas in the last decade.

The EPA's Tier 2 regulations focus on significantly reducing both
particulate matter and nitrogen oxide by the year 2007. Currently,
there are technologies in place that are assisting the automobile
industry in meeting many of these standards - today. In addition,
developments are being implemented in two areas - low sulfur fuel
which assists in reducing particulate matter É and aftertreatment
technologies that filter out NOx. We are not quite there yet with
these new NOx advancements, but I am confident they will be ready
well in advance of the regulations.

So, are diesels dirty? Are they as clean or cleaner than
spark-ignition engines? Are we really looking at total emissions,
rather than individual particulates? Ultimately, are we better off in
the long run with diesels? This is where it gets tricky. No, wait.
Let me rephrase that. This is where it's tricky in the United States.

In the U.S., we take a very fragmented view of industry, and so is
the case with emissions. We look at carbon dioxide OR particulate
matter OR fuel efficiency OR noise pollution OR nitrogen oxides. We
examine ways to improve quality OR safety OR cost OR performance.

Environmental groups, the EPA, the Department of Energy, automakers,
suppliers, energy companiesÉwe work independent of - and often
against - one another. There is no trust. We negate each other's
gains. And we are getting nothing done. Just look at the results.
Just look at the state of our industry.

We are killing each other!

Some of us sat in disbelief last March in the SAE Blue Ribbon Panel
session in Detroit. Here we had representatives of the government and
the auto and energy industries, all of whom were responsible for
examining diesel's potential. It was clear that this session was the
first time some of them had met each other. That is amazing, isn't it?

Government and industry cannot continue this divided relationship, or
complete lack of relationship altogether. We have to change this.

I have petitioned Dr. Cole to help us. Dave has agreed to help
establish and facilitate a dialogue between the auto industry, the
government, and the energy companies. For now, we're calling the
initiative the Energy Solutions Dialogue Group. Our goal will be to,
at minimum, talk 4 times each year about our energy options. This
won't be a public group. It won't have a stance on the issues or
create propaganda for one solution over another.

Its focus will be simple: to help us all see the big picture. To help
us change those 'ORs' I just mentioned into 'ANDs.' We hope to be
able to report back here in 12 months on the progress we've made.

I would like to change gears slightly now. In addition to emissions,
our infrastructure must be examined when determining our near-term
vehicle solutions. Infrastructure cost, energy availability and
education all need consideration.

For example, if we stay with gasoline, no consumer education is
necessary, and infrastructure of the roads and fueling system will
not change. Gasoline availability could be an issue, but that is
dependant on happenings in the world market. Interestingly, Governor
John Engler made some points in his 2002 State of the State address
concerning this issue. He said that Americans already consume 10
million barrels of foreign oil each day and that the trend line is
not good. He added that our growing dependency on foreign oil
threatens our national security and our way of life.

Diesels will help to reduce that dependence.

Plus, consumers will re-fuel in the same manner at the same locations
as they do currently. The infrastructure is already in place. My
point is that, unlike fuel cells, electrics and many hybrids,
consumer habits need not change. Infrastructure is a non-issue with
diesels. Again, diesels make sense.

Vehicle cost is also a popular topic for debate. Obviously, the
near-term cost of fuel cells and electrics price them out of the
market. These technologies are important and hold much promise for
future generations, but they just aren't an available option today or
in the near term. So, again, I will focus my comparison on diesel and
gasoline powertrains.

We must look at the issue of vehicle cost much like we should examine
emissions and regulations - on a big-picture basis.

There are elements of diesels that are more expensive, and there are
elements of gasolines that are more expensive.

Consumers will consider 3 price points when buying a diesel. Purchase
price, operating cost and residual value.

Purchase price of a new diesel will be higher than a gasoline engine,
even if it is just to cover the increase in manufacturing costs. The
advantage here is currently with gasolines. But that will definitely
change as economies of scale improve for diesels, which has already
been proven throughout Europe.

Operating costs are an interesting element. In Europe, diesel fuel is
much cheaper than gasoline, so fueling the vehicle is noticeably
cheaper. In the States, a gallon of diesel fuel is currently $1.30,
compared to a gallon of gasoline at $1.40. Plus, because diesels are
about 40 percent more fuel efficient, refueling doesn't occur as
often.

Let's take the Jeep Grand Cherokee example from earlier. Let's assume
you drive 15,000 miles per year. That means, with the gas version,
you will need 1,000 gallons of gas at $1.40 a gallon, which comes to
$1,400 a year in fuel costs. If you drive a diesel, you will only
need 625 gallons of fuel at a cost of $1.30 a gallon. Your annual
cost is $812. That means you will save nearly $600 on fuel costs
every single year if you drive a diesel here in the United States.

Now let's look at residual value. Diesel engines are work horses.
They will run and run and run. The diesel will have a lot of life
left in it at the end of a 2 or 3 year lease or when re-selling the
vehicle with 75 or 100 thousand miles on it. Logically, the
conclusion is that diesels will hold their value longer.

Clearly, if you look at overall operating costs as a consumer,
diesels make sense.

Combine this characteristic with emission standards, performance and
operating costs, and it is clear that diesels will enable a major
growth in luxury vehicles, SUVs, minivans and crossovers - the
high-demand, high-margin offerings of our industry. Just look at
Europe where, as I mentioned before, diesels account for more than 70
percent of all new premium luxury vehicle sales. If you're a
manufacturer, diesels make economic sense.

And finally, my favorite subject: the image of the diesel. There are
2 perceptions battling each other. The first is the true picture
consumers have for diesels. The second is what the industry perceives
that picture to be. We seem determined to remind the nation that
diesels were once noisy, smelly, dirty and unreliable. That was 25
years ago. Let it go.

If consumers today really think diesels are so bad, how do we explain
the following facts?

First, while the industry sits and debates about whether the market
is ready for diesels, Volkswagen went out and proved it is.
Volkswagen has offered diesel versions of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle
in the U.S. Last year, consumers bought them all. Every last one.
Volkswagen dealers were forced to create waiting lists. When's the
last time you heard of a waiting list for a car under $25,000?

Take GM's Silverado and Sierra diesel pickup as another example. This
year, GM will produce well over 100,000 of these vehicles. And they
will sell every single one. I am sure everyone in the room would like
to say the same.

According to studies by both J.D. Power and Associates and the Diesel
Technology Forum, roughly one third of Americans would consider a
clean diesel, if given the option.

The U.S. diesel market is primedÉand that's without any marketing.
Consumers aren't dumb. They know something that many in our industry
have yet to believe - diesels..make...sense.

So, in response to my earlier questions - what is holding diesel
back? The answer isÉ nothing. I'm not the only one of this opinion.
Other car enthusiasts are right there with me. In a recent issue of
Popular Mechanics, Jay Leno, perhaps one of the biggest car junkies
in the world, wrote about our fuel options. In one paragraph, he said
"I think the best alternative fuel is one we already have, but this
country doesn't want to produce: refined diesel fuel. For some
reason, we don't want to produce high-quality, commercially available
desulphured fuel in this country."

In the simplest terms, the technology exists. Fuel economy
improvements are for real. Operating costs are lower. Emission levels
are in check. Durability is greater. The infrastructure is ready. The
economy is ripe. Consumers want them. And it's an answer that's ready
today.

Earlier, I showed you what the U.S. could look like by 2010 if
diesels owned 40 percent market share. What if it had 80 percent?
Again, this is 80 percent of new car sales, so there are still
millions of gasoline vehicles on our roads. In spite of this, the
forecast is exciting:

* Our consumption of oil drops by 600,000 barrels a day, representing
a savings to this country of $18 billion a year.
* Our corporate average fuel economy increases to 31 miles per gallon.
* We take 8 million metric tons of emissions out of the environment every year.
* And we get all this without losing the thrill of the automobile.
Dr. Cole, we do not need to change the theme of this conference from
"Fast, Fun and Scary." But perhaps we could modify it to "Fast, Fun
and Scarily Clean." It describes diesels perfectly.

I look forward to working with Dr. Cole to bring industry, government
and academia together to examine the energy debate and get a real
dialogue in place.

I am optimistic that we will be able to stand up here in 12 months to
report on our progress and share a promising forecast.

I look forward to your questions later this afternoon.

Thank you.

Home Selling? Try Us!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QrPZMC/iTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM