On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >2. Carbon dioxide emissions are 600 grams per mile for the gasoline;
> >413 for the diesel. Again, diesel wins.
>
> very impressive.

The advantage for the diesel engine is even far far greater when run on
biodiesel. Plus, the strategic and economic advantages of biodiesel.

> >Incidentally, the U.S. is the world's largest emitter of greenhouse
> >gases. The potential reduction in CO2 emissions through adoption of
> >the diesel in passenger cars is staggering for this country.
>
> Hammering home a good point, if it's entirely true.  I wonder why the
> Bush Administration hasn't latched on to clean diesel as an issue?  He
> seems entirely willing to spend political capital on Ethanol, and the
> cause of clean diesel doesn't go against Big Oil (despite their carping
> about the costs).

Bush is willing to spend capital on ethanol? Since when? I suspect that
part of the reason big oil doesn't want diesels to see more use are:
1. Higher fuel efficiency, so they wouldn't sell as much fuel.
2. Diesel engines can easily be run on biodiesel. Diesels becoming more
common in the US would do a LOT to help out biodiesel get a strong
foothold (as it is doing in Europe), and seriously hurt oil companies.

> >First, while the industry sits and debates about whether the market
> >is ready for diesels, Volkswagen went out and proved it is.
> >Volkswagen has offered diesel versions of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle
> >in the U.S. Last year, consumers bought them all. Every last one.
> >Volkswagen dealers were forced to create waiting lists. When's the
> >last time you heard of a waiting list for a car under $25,000?

Excellent point. I had to order a VW Jetta TDI wagon because there were
none at the dealers, and wait months for it. Not many people are doing
that for economy gas cars.

Mike

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM