On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Keith Addison wrote:

> I get the sense things are changing somewhat with diesels anyway,
> there seems to be some movement, some momentum gathering. For
> instance, Kerry's rather mild pro-diesel stance got his fingers
> burnt, yet Dingell can try to push a bill through now? Okay, I don't
> know much about US politics, but doesn't that show some movement?

Yes, getting Dingell onboard the diesel bandwagon should be a big plus.
Getting (i.e. forcing) oil companies to start selling ULSD (ultra low
sulfur diesel) in the US should really have an impact that will
fortunately help out biodiesel. Most US automakers currently do make some
nice diesel engines - but they only sell them in Europe. Part of that is
simply because many americans still picture diesels as noisy, dirty
engines that won't work at all in cold weather. It was a ride in a VW TDI
that convinced Dingell that that was not true. A big part of getting
diesels to start becoming more mainstream will just be the public learning
that there have been advances in diesel engine technology, and when run on
ULSD (or preferably biodiesel), they don't have the "big black cloud"
effect anymore.

Mike

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM