>Bush is willing to spend capital on ethanol? Since when?

Both father and Son have been somewhat supportive of ethanol (probably more
"big" ethanol than what might satisfy some here) over the years.  I do not have
any specifics in mind at present, and the Congressional wranglings over the
legal specifics over the last couple of years have only served to confuse me,
but I think most recently the issue partly came down to California not wanting
to be mandated to use ethanol and the Bush Administration wanting to keep
whatever mandate-rationale was in place.

>I suspect that
>part of the reason big oil doesn't want diesels to see more use are:
>1. Higher fuel efficiency, so they wouldn't sell as much fuel.
>2. Diesel engines can easily be run on biodiesel. Diesels becoming more
>common in the US would do a LOT to help out biodiesel get a strong
>foothold (as it is doing in Europe), and seriously hurt oil companies.

Exactly. And hybrids, if built to be grid-chargeable, would seriously open a
similar can of worms, because then folks could have a choice of fuels, and those
fuels could be anything from nuclear to coal to natural gas to home-brewed solar
or wind.  And we can't have that.

>> >First, while the industry sits and debates about whether the market
>> >is ready for diesels, Volkswagen went out and proved it is.
>> >Volkswagen has offered diesel versions of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle
>> >in the U.S. Last year, consumers bought them all. Every last one.
>> >Volkswagen dealers were forced to create waiting lists. When's the
>> >last time you heard of a waiting list for a car under $25,000?
>
>Excellent point. I had to order a VW Jetta TDI wagon because there were
>none at the dealers, and wait months for it. Not many people are doing
>that for economy gas cars.
>
>Mike

During the California EV mandate period, many of those who wanted EV's never got
them, and for those who did they often had to wait in excess of six months.  I
didn't realize a similar thing, had been happening with high-mpg diesels, albeit
with more availability and less dishonesty at the end of the tunnel for a
diesel-wait-lister.

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM