MM wrote:

>http://www.dieselforum.org/inthenews/boschspeech_080702.html
>
>Great article.
>
> >2. Carbon dioxide emissions are 600 grams per mile for the gasoline;
> >413 for the diesel. Again, diesel wins.
>
>very impressive.
>
> >3. And, in U.S. terms, fuel economy is 15 miles to the gallon for the
> >gasolineÉand 24 miles to the gallon for the diesel.
>
>Also very impressive, even given a mpbtu comparison.
>
> >Incidentally, the U.S. is the world's largest emitter of greenhouse
> >gases. The potential reduction in CO2 emissions through adoption of
> >the diesel in passenger cars is staggering for this country.
>
>Hammering home a good point, if it's entirely true.  I wonder why the Bush
>Administration hasn't latched on to clean diesel as an issue?  He
>seems entirely
>willing to spend political capital on Ethanol, and the cause of clean diesel
>doesn't go against Big Oil (despite their carping about the costs).
>

> >Purchase price of a new diesel will be higher than a gasoline engine,
> >even if it is just to cover the increase in manufacturing costs. The
> >advantage here is currently with gasolines. But that will definitely
> >change as economies of scale improve for diesels, which has already
> >been proven throughout Europe.
>
>The change to be anticipated through economies of scale for EV's is seldom
>discussed.  A pity.  Not that he should have made it here, but just
>pointing it
>out.
>
> >Now let's look at residual value. Diesel engines are work horses.
> >They will run and run and run. The diesel will have a lot of life
> >left in it at the end of a 2 or 3 year lease or when re-selling the
> >vehicle with 75 or 100 thousand miles on it. Logically, the
> >conclusion is that diesels will hold their value longer.
>
>Another excellent point.  Boy, is it frustrating when a gasoline engine goes
>bad, partly because a manufacturer just didn't give a damn, and the
>rest of the
>car is still good.
>
> >And finally, my favorite subject: the image of the diesel. There are
> >2 perceptions battling each other. The first is the true picture
> >consumers have for diesels.
>
>I didn't realize consumers were that on top of this.
>
> >First, while the industry sits and debates about whether the market
> >is ready for diesels, Volkswagen went out and proved it is.
> >Volkswagen has offered diesel versions of the Jetta, Golf and Beetle
> >in the U.S. Last year, consumers bought them all. Every last one.
> >Volkswagen dealers were forced to create waiting lists. When's the
> >last time you heard of a waiting list for a car under $25,000?
>
>Ford Th!nk City EV (powered by NiCad), Ford leased only about 1000, about $200
>per month lease, only in 3 states or so, waiting lists at every
>dealership I've
>heard of that was allowed to carry them, Ford refuses to make more and is
>closing the plant.

It's interesting that the Bosch CEO seems to think Detroit doesn't
know what the hell it's doing. It wouldn't be surprising, somehow.
They only talk to each other and think they know it all, and the
marketing folks tell them what they think they want to hear. Which
turns out to be the opposite of consumer perceptions. And there's a
huge corporate inertia, they'll keep on trundling along the same old
beaten track, right or wrong, just so they're all nice and comfy with
it, don't like changing their thinking. So how exactly do you get
through to these guys? The three issues would be diesels, EVs, and if
you include Big Oil, clean up the damn' petro-diesel.

I get the sense things are changing somewhat with diesels anyway,
there seems to be some movement, some momentum gathering. For
instance, Kerry's rather mild pro-diesel stance got his fingers
burnt, yet Dingell can try to push a bill through now? Okay, I don't
know much about US politics, but doesn't that show some movement?

http://www.dieselforum.org/dtfinthenews/nytimes_082802.html
Planned Bill Would Spur U.S. Sale Of Diesel Cars
The New York Times

http://www.dieselforum.org/inthenews/cnn_082802.html
Diesels Could Get A Push
cnnfn.com