>> that convinced Dingell that that was not true. A big part of getting
>> diesels to start becoming more mainstream will just be the public
>learning
>> that there have been advances in diesel engine technology, and when
>run on
>> ULSD (or preferably biodiesel), they don't have the "big black
>cloud"
>> effect anymore.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Just my personal opinion, but I think Diesels will become much more
>acceptable when we have better fuel to run in them.
>I don't know what incentive may be needed to get that to happen.
>Heavy trucks are using all that the refineries can produce now. There
>is no incentive to clean up the fuel and expand the demand for it,
>unless there is an acceptably higher price to be made from it.
>  It all comes down to money!

If it can be shown that more widespread use of diesel and diesel engines
decreases petroleum dependency and improves access to a domestic alt-fuel
(biodiesel), then it becomes a war issue and a matter of greater urgency.

The Bush Administration's lack of urgent action on a dozen fronts on reducing
foreign petroleum dependencies, insofar as it is an obvious and critical
economic and military strategic issue, is *stunning*.  It is unethical.  It is a
political advantage over him waiting to be exploited.

Never mind whether one likes him, dislikes him,.... I'm not trying to fish for
an excuse on either side.  I'm saying:

What have they done?
What *could* they have done?

If they took up four or five of these issues and really put an effort into them,
I don't think they'd have all that much trouble getting into ANWR.  Their
refusal to abandon their mentally-challenged one-sidedness in seeking to change
energy policy has been their undoing.  Let's say that Bush really challenged
Detroit to behave as though the nation really is at war against folks who have
expropriated what were arguably some of our own oil assets and who can never be
defeated if we continue to pay so much money for foreign oil.  Let's say he got
tough on the matter (this would probably have to involve transferring Andrew
Card to some foreign embassy if he's still at the White House) and demanded
several thousand EV's per year from each of the makers... no excuses, immediate
action on low-sulfur diesel, much more urgent commitment to better-mileage
vehicles with some eye to grid-chargeability, etc., in the name of trying
everything possible (even if some of it didn't work) to cease and desist
exporting billions to murderers.  I also think they should do more about a
national commitment to power grid issues and net metering, but I do think
they're trying (FERC recently talking about trying to come up with some sort of
national policy).

I think that would be a good thing.  Failure to do this has not only become
bizarre.  It's become a sign of a lack of a total commitment to winning the war.
The Bush administration has been very strong on planning military campaigns and
on planning some hard-nosed diplomacy.  They've been weak on other war "fronts",
particularly on Energy Policy.

I've been beating this drum for years, and I thought it would come across as "I
told you so" to keep talking about energy policy and its relation to security.
But what have they done while some of us have let it go for a year or so?  Not
nearly enough.  I won't say they've done nothing, but they're not doing
everything possible.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM