On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, motie_d wrote:

>  Just my personal opinion, but I think Diesels will become much more
> acceptable when we have better fuel to run in them.

We do - biodiesel. :) Unfortuntely, it's not available at pumps in many
places, so those of us who want to use it have to either make our own or
buy large quantities of it to store. Biodiesel is gaining popularity
though, and actual biodiesel pumps are gradually springing up around the
country.

> I don't know what incentive may be needed to get that to happen.
> Heavy trucks are using all that the refineries can produce now. There
> is no incentive to clean up the fuel and expand the demand for it,
> unless there is an acceptably higher price to be made from it.
>   It all comes down to money!

I agree. Petroleum fuels are simply way too cheap in the US. They should
cost twice what they do (in reality, the true cost we pay is probably
somewhere around twice the sticker price, if you factor in things like
subsidies to oil companies, and military/economic involvement in other
countries). But, since the subsidies and other things are paid for with
taxes, people don't think they're really paying all that much for
petroleum fuels.
        Double the price of petroleum fuels, and people would stop buying
SUVs that get 12 mpg, instead looking at more fuel efficient vehicles,
including VW's TDI (which is already selling incredibly well). Eventually,
the other automakers would take notice, and start selling their diesels
here as well. If petro diesel and gasoline cost $3 a gallon, then more
people wouldn't mind paying the $2.20 or so a gallon to buy biodiesel made
from soy. Hopefully then more companies would start making biodiesel, and
in particular using oils other than soy (such as canola), since soybeans
don't yield very much oil per acre.

Mike

Sell a Home with Ease!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM