Hakan, Greg & April, Caroline, et. al. --

Thanks for your detailed responses -- I'll check out all those ideas
and more. I agree that the mold problem with straw bales could
have been mitigated with proper permeability, and also it's import-
ant EXACTLY how you support the first course of bales -- they have
to be well-raised above the slab. I'm very interested in radiant heat,
so I'll check on pump lifetimes as a possible problem. I'm also planning
on a steel roof, but I'm not sure what sort of support system to use
(e.g., wood truss, steel truss, traditional rafters, etc). I'm not even
sure
if I'll be able to get load-bearing strawbale past the building dept.,
but
many in the area (Tuolumne County, CA) have paved the way, so the
answers should be forthcoming. Another interesting subject is the
whole passive solar thing -- I'd love to use clerestory windows, light
tunnels, etc. The house will be at 3000 ft. elevation (914 m),  light
snow in the winter, often 105 F (40 C) in the summer.      -K