Ken,

I've built a couple of outbuildings on my lot in Berkeley using
corrugated steel roofing, and I just used conventional rafters with
purlins - 2x4's in one case, 3x6's in the other - running at right
angles to, and on top of, the rafters to support the corrugated. Very
easy to do, and the corrugated goes up way quicker than any other kind
of roofing. Where in Tuolumne County are you? - I have an engineer
friend who's building a rammed earth house in Strawberry. He found the
building inspection department very easy to deal with, and he might be
able to help you with getting strawbale to fly.

You wrote:

<snip>

>  I'm also planning
> on a steel roof, but I'm not sure what sort of support system to use
> (e.g., wood truss, steel truss, traditional rafters, etc).

<snip>