Caroline,

We're planning on heating our house with hydronic (hot water) radiators
- plumbed with copper under the (wood) subfloor. Obviously not an option
for you - you've already got a hydronically-heated slab. I'm hoping to
heat the water with biodiesel or WVO. There are several companies that
make hydronic baseboard radiators - and they don't look like the old
cast iron steam radiators - they're about 2" thick, and can be ordered
in a variety of lengths and heights. One company that makes them is
Runtal - http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/

Most people heat the water with natural gas or propane boilers, but you
can also do it with a conventional water heater, either with one
dedicated to the hydronic heating, or with an oversized water heater to
provide both domestic hot water and hydronic space heating needs. And of
course you can pre-heat the water with solar collectors regardless of
the type of final heating of the water.

Heating with biodiesel or SVO would involve a diesel coolant heater, and
I'm in the beginning stages of calculating how large a unit I'd need,
but I suspect that a diesel coolant heater would work if it had same
BTU's that a hydronic heating engineer or contractor would spec for the
boiler or water heater for  square footage involved.

I'm also looking into using the diesel-fired heat exchanger from a
diesel pressure washer for demand-type domestic hot water needs - again
with solar collectors for pre-heating the water. And a small and quiet
diesel generator (inside a soundproofed and fireproof shed) running on
bioD, and eventually WVO, would complete the renewable energy package -
maybe with some PV's as well. And of course there's the possibility of
capturing some exhaust heat from the generator for some water heating -
or to heat the WVO for the generator and/or the coolant heat exchanger
so you could run both  - after starting the generator on bioD and
running it for awhile, then switching over to WVO.

Craig

<snip>