--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "harley3" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Never use "starting fluid" in a diesel engine.  I tried starting
fluid once
> in my 6.5 diesel G.M. Suburban.    The engine spit the starter out
onto the
> ground.    My foolish mistake broke the starter, and torn out 5
teeth off my
> torque converter.  A very expensive mistake, never again.
>
> Harley

Or at least disable the Glow Plugs first. They tend to work as Spark
pLugs. It's perfectly safe to use Starting Fluids in Diesel Engines,
but NOT with activated Glow Plugs!
A bit of Starting Fluid can save a lot of wear and tear on starter
and batteries. I've been doing it for 30 years in extreme cold. If
Starting Fluid won't fire it up, you'll need to heat it. Not for
amateurs, so I won't go into any detail that may lead someone to do
something really expensively wrong.

Motie