It is a well know fact that adrenaline both toughen the meat and introduce
a bit bitter taste.

Many years ago ( more than 30), when I was consultant in acoustic
engineering, I did an audit of the noise problems in the largest slaughter
house in Sweden. The purpose was to map the noise problems and suggest
remedies for workers protection. Measurements and the on location work was
around 10 days.

Modern slaughter house do effect the meat quality quite effectively. One of
the big problems was the feed passages to the actual killing boxes, this
especially for pigs. Pigs are a quite intelligent animal, more so than dogs
and also easier to train and understand more. When a pig screams, it is
very similar to a small child. I will always remember the feeds for pigs,
the sounds were also that high that the workers needed protected gears to
work there and the screams are horrifying. I am very much a supporter of
"Alive and happy one minute, dead the next", which is also in line with
sustainable farming.

Hakan