As you point out Todd, I was the first to frame this discussion in the
"us-them democrat-republican" thing, but it was merely an anticipatory
post.  Any time Dubya does something stupid, shortsighted, or reckless,
which happens often enough, invariably the lamentation goes up that "had
he not stole the election from Al Gore, everything would be different."
To wit:

> I can tell you one thing for absolute certain. Had Shrub not been
appointed
> we'd still have PNGV and probably a few 10,000 more hybrids on the
road and
> a myriad of other similar far reaching policies that would benefit
future
> generations rather than lining the pockets of contemporary
corporations as
> is the present destructive trend.

How can you be so sure?  With Republicans controlling both houses Wooden
Al would be hard pressed to pass anything.  And while they don't have
enough votes to override a presidential veto, they could easily have
inserted their environmental rollbacks in appropriations, national
security, or trade legislation.  Oh wait a minute, that's what they did
anyway under GW.

> Uhhh....there's just one other thing. If you think that you can effect
> substantial change much beyond what color of socks you're going to
wear in
> the morning, you're going to have to give some long consideration to
> utilizing whatever yahoos might be in office on any given day - either
> utilize their stupidity against themselves or utilize their sway.

Nice theory, but I don't have 180 million dollars, and as the last
election proved, my vote isn't worth squat.  As far as utilizing those
"yahoos" in office, they're a lot more conniving and savvy than you give
them credit, how do you suggest influencing them, by writing letters and
signing petitions?  How about protesting, what do you think that will
get you besides an entry in the Terrorist (er I mean Total) Information
Awareness Database?

> But you won't get as much done by discounting them.

I don't discount them in the least; I simply doubt that anything I can
do (within the current electoral system) will make a difference on their
actions.

-BRAH

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511