On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 02:01:32 +0900, you wrote:

>Further to this:
>
>>>As far as the other part is concerned.  There is no dilemma. You are
>>>there to record history. not be a part of it or change it.
>>>I've gotten in trouble for this a few times myself.
>
><snip>
>
>>But that's the pretence - journalist-as-pipe. How it so often works
>>out is that such journalists may talk about their "sources", but to
>>those sources these journalists are resources, used for purposes and
>>ends that can be very contrary to the role of the fourth estate.
>
>The classic current case is that of Judith Miller of the New York
>Times and Ahmad Chalabi, and the matter of WMD.

What about in alternative fuels and vehicles?

While to be sure we see many examples of the problem you mention
(journalists just mouthing what some mediocrity in a PR department
tells them, which they half-know to be a 3/4 lie), I also see a need
or desire for companies or people to get their message out, not just
in a PR announcement, but a desire to be covered.  In that case, I
don't think a journalist is out of line to allow or encourage himself
to be used.