Further to this:

>>As far as the other part is concerned.  There is no dilemma. You are
>>there to record history. not be a part of it or change it.
>>I've gotten in trouble for this a few times myself.

<snip>

>But that's the pretence - journalist-as-pipe. How it so often works
>out is that such journalists may talk about their "sources", but to
>those sources these journalists are resources, used for purposes and
>ends that can be very contrary to the role of the fourth estate.

The classic current case is that of Judith Miller of the New York
Times and Ahmad Chalabi, and the matter of WMD.

>... she [Judith Miller] gave a response that was laughable at best:
>she just reports what she's told, so don't blame her or the press
>for things happening you don't like. The media is neutral - they
>simply report, and it is up to you to make decisions based on that
>reporting. If what the press is told happens to be wrong, it is not
>their fault.
-- From: Chasing Judith Miller Off the Stage
Derek Seidman
February 20 / 22, 2004
http://www.counterpunch.org/seidman02202004.html

Ahmad Chalabi, head of the Iraqi National Congress group of defectors
and exiles, was accused in Jordan of bank fraud, embezzlement and
currency manipulation involving millions and barely escaped before
Jordanian authorities could arrest him; in 1992, he was convicted and
sentenced in absentia to 22 years' hard labor. Jordan has demanded
his extradition but the US refuses to turn him over.

>"Chalabi has provided most of the front page exclusives on WMD to
>our paper." - New York Times reporter Judith Miller
-- From: Now They Tell Us
By Michael Massing
The New York Review of Books:
February 26, 2004
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/16922

>... Times reporters and editors bear a heavy responsibility, as far
>back as September 2002, for having raised the nuclear specter that
>could materialize in the form of a "mushroom cloud." National
>Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice and Vice President Dick Cheney
>took some of their talk-show lines on the nuclear danger from the
>Times article of Sept. 8, 2002 by Judith Miller and Michael Gordon,
>"US Says Hussein Intensifies Quest for A-Bomb Parts." Moreover, over
>the years, the Times had frequently reported that the threat from
>Iraq's biological and chemical weapons programs was real and
>ominous. Defectors and exile groups, such as the Iraqi National
>Congress led by Ahmad Chalabi, were prime sources for the Times. ...
>Incredibly, nevertheless, Miller places the onus on U.S.
>intelligence for the gross discrepancies between what she reported
>on Iraqi WMD before the war, and the largely blank sheet of the
>Iraqi Survey Group submitted by David Kay: "The fact that the United
>States so far hasn't found WMD in Iraq is deeply disturbing," she
>told Michael Massing in his article "Now They Tell Us," in the New
>York Review of Books (Feb. 26). "It raises real questions about how
>good our intelligence was. To beat up on the messenger is to miss
>the point." This from a messenger who, in 2002-2003, persisted in
>publishing shaky and deceptive information that abetted the designs
>of her high-level administration and INC sources.
-- From: 'NY Times' Fails to Acknowledge Its Role in WMD Hype - The
Paper of Record Blames Intelligence and Administration, but any
Indictment of the National Press is Missing
by William E. Jackson Jr.
Editor and Publisher
February 20, 2004

>On CNN's Late Edition, Condoleezza Rice said ... "We don't want the
>smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud" - a phrase lifted directly from
>the Times.
-- From: Now They Tell Us

>The INC's intelligence "isn't reliable at all," according to Vincent
>Cannistraro, a former CIA chief of counterterrorism. "Much of it is
>propaganda. Much of it is telling the Defense Department what they
>want to hear, using alleged informants and defectors who say what
>Chalabi wants them to say, [creating] cooked information that goes
>right into presidential and vice presidential speeches."
-- From: The Lie Factory
By Robert Dreyfuss and Jason Vest
January/February 2004 Issue
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/01/12_405.html

Nothing new there - the C.I.A. had mistrusted Chalabi for at least
eight years. In 1996 the agency cut off the millions of dollars a
year it was secretly funnelling to the I.N.C. essentially because it
had doubts about Chalabi's integrity.

>An Iraqi leader accused of feeding faulty pre-war intelligence to
>Washington said yesterday his information about Saddam Hussein's
>weapons, even if discredited, had achieved the aim of persuading
>America to topple the dictator. ... Ahmad Chalabi, ... by far the
>most effective anti-Saddam lobbyist in Washington, shrugged off
>charges that he had deliberately misled US intelligence. "We are
>heroes in error," he told the Telegraph in Baghdad. "As far as we're
>concerned we've been entirely successful. That tyrant Saddam is gone
>and the Americans are in Baghdad. What was said before is not
>important. The Bush administration is looking for a scapegoat. We're
>ready to fall on our swords if he wants."
-- From: Chalabi stands by faulty intelligence that toppled Saddam's regime
By Jack Fairweather in Baghdad and Anton La Guardia
Telegraph
19/02/2004
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$5RM3YWKKUZDFXQFI
QMGSFFOAVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2004/02/19/wirq19.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/02/
19/ixworld.html

>... Miller, on the other hand, risks playing with the kind of fire
>that starts or justifies wars, gets people killed and plays into the
>hands of government officials with partisan axes to grind. ... Good
>journalism is about a lot more than taking advantage of connections
>and access. It requires going wherever the reporting takes you. Even
>if that means the story ends up not on the front page but on the
>spike.
-- From: 'Scoops' and Truth at the Times
By Russ Baker, The Nation
June 9, 200
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16121

>Miller's modus operandi is described by several Times sources as the
>following: She cultivates senior officials using the importance of
>the Times. The officials give her a story, she reports it
>uncritically (she may note opposing views, which she overrides with
>friendly sources without reporting out the discordant objections),
>and it appears prominently in the newspaper of record. Miller's
>happy, her editors are happy, her sources are happy. Thus, she
>continues to prosper, the sources keep calling her back, she keeps
>getting published, and the editors like her because she "delivers."
>This system was summed up for me by a Timesman as: "a neat little
>eco-system of corrupt journalism." This systemic problem at the
>Times was also described to me as "journalistic materialism." Miller
>has delivered "exclusives," even if in a prosecutorial,
>hyperventilated voice. And now no one wants to admit that those
>exclusives were in the main part wrong.
-- From: Miller's Star Fades (Slightly) at 'NY Times'
By William E. Jackson, Jr.
OCTOBER 02, 2003
Editor & Publisher
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/editorandpublisher/headlines/article
_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1991338

Not at all an isolated case, more like the rule, if in a somewhat
extreme form. Miller keeps her job and hasn't even been censured,
though "she has been put on a tighter leash, and her copy is
carefully edited through the investigative desk by a new editor".

Ahmad Chalabi is still on the Pentagon's payroll, according to
Knight-Ridder. Chalabi's so-called intelligence service, the
"Intelligence Collection Program," is getting $3-4 million a year
from the Pentagon. I guess it'll stop him cheating banks, if not
reporters. And presidents.

Best

Keith