the trade winds blow from east to west at about 15 degrees north
latitude.  they brought Columbus to the west Indies.  the prevailing
winds, north of about 35 degrees, blow west to east and took him home,
and moved goods from the "colonies" back to Europe.

storms blow from west to east off the gobi desert in china and deposit
dust on the US pacific coast of northern California and Oregon

murdoch wrote:

>>Derek,
>>
>>Unless the prevailing wind has reversed its course on your world, the wind
>>blows FROM the Amazon TO the Sahara desert (unless it goes around the world).
>> There would be alot of other deserving people the Sahara winds would cross
>>before it got the Amazon that way around.
>

> In the Northern Hemisphere, I can see how the winds would blow from,
> say, the States to Europe (thus aiding air travel in that direction,
> for example).  However, I question whether the direction isn't
> reversed for the Southern Hemisphere (the Amazon) and-or whether it
> mightn't be true that some of the Sahara blows toward the Amazon, from
> West to East.  Or, even if it blows on the other direction, whether it
> mightn't be true that the debris from the Sahara end up in the Amazon,
> having traveled much of the globe's circumfrence.
>
> Dunno.
>

>>I'm not saying the desert concept is worthless - I am saying that the concept
>>is not practical or sustainable without an inordinate dependence upon alot of
>>cheap energy.
>>
>>Art

> Biofuels list archives:

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Yahoo! Groups Links

Bob Allen,http://ozarker.org/bob
The modern conservative is engaged in one of Man's oldest exercises
in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral
justification for selfishness  JKG

---

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511