Hi Art,

I'm not sure of all of the intricacies of how the Saharan dust gets to the
Amazon, but here is one of several sources supporting this found via a quick
Google search.

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/divs/mpo/Academics/Projects/Liu.doc

As you said, this is not at the crux of the discussion. It was just to give you
an example of the fact that desert lands often have plenty of soil and are
capable of growing food under the right conditions and it doesn't require
'hydroponics.'

And, all of this is off the track of the original poster. His concept was of
obtaining open desert land to be used for energy production, not to be used for
food production. As I recall, you came back stating something to the effect
that one couldn't live on a desert island because one couldn't produce food. As
I understood his original post, and what I am supporting as possible, is the
use of large tracks of open land for future production of energy, basically
capturing the incident solar energy. And, I still can not see why one couldn't
engineer a concept to do this.

I can still remember being in Maracaibo years ago getting a car repaired. The
garage had a large open lot to work on vehicles. About 40 feet above the lot
they had a corrugated metal roof. It was early afternoon, and that roof looked
to me to be red hot from the sunlight incident upon it. However, it was high
enough that none of the heat radiating from that roof bothered us at ground
level. As the 'building' didn't have any walls, there was more than enough
light from the sides to work, and it was clear that the working conditions in
the open lot were enhanced by having that simple roof to block the sun.

So...although it wouldn't be economically feasible at this time...in future...I
can visualize in places like Saudi large land areas where they have built solar
collectors suspended well above the ground level. If they utilized roughly half
of the incident light for electricity production, there would be plenty of
remaining light below the structure to farm. The solar energy production could
be supplemented by wind generators as they wouldn't block significant incident
light from the solar collectors. The amount of light reaching ground level
would be about what is needed to farm, and it wouldn't be nearly as hot at
ground level either, and water needs would be consequently diminished. As I
mentioned before, I currently see small scale structures in Saudi where they
grow vegetables using translucent plastic roofs to allow only about half the
incident light to reach the ground. It seems wasteful that the light blocked by
the roof is not utilized...whereas if the roof were replaced by a solar
collector it would be.

Anyway...I doubt that I would see something large scale like that in my
lifetime...but I think it would work as well or better than a lot of other
large scale solar collector sci-fi type concepts.

Regards,

Derek

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511