Hi,

Unlimited energy leads to all other needs. The most essential raw product is
energy. Once one has energy they can recycle water, make water, grow food in
all sorts of ways, etc. I've lived in the desert for ten years. It was an eye
opener to realize how dependent life in the desert is on energy, and how
everything else pales. I live in Saudi...number one in the world at making
potable water from the sea. They grow enough wheat to meet their own needs, and
export the excess. Life is dependent on energy like nowhere else.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not advocating this. I don't consider much
this to be sustainable. But, I don't think it is wise to minimize the
importance of energy as the fundamental building block under everything else.

In the desert, it would be easily possible to harvest 50% of the incident light
for electricity production and to farm with the remaining light. Brian is right
on. The future energy production for the world could well come from worthless
deserts, with a top layer of Photovoltaics and vast farms under the light
collectors. The energy could possibly be exported by either microwaves or
hydrogen pipelines.

Regards,

Derek

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511