Hallo Brian,

Thursday, 29 April, 2004, 10:41:22, you wrote:

B> Thanks for the forward.  I find it disturbing that the article is
B> recommenting conversion to wood alcohol as a potential energy
B> alternative, even to the point of giving recommendations on how to
B> cut down trees.  Yes, trees are renewable, but not quickly.  Our
B> tree reserve would fail even more quickly than our oil reserve, and
B> the consequences would be even more dire.

B> Brian

I  have been burning wood for heat for nearly 30 years.  I get all the
dead and down and diseased wood I need to heat and don't have to touch
a  live  tree.   I  don't  know  if you can use dead/down wood for the
alcohol  production  or not but there is potentially plenty of wood to
be  had  by backyard producers I would think.  Many people I know burn
pallets  or old construction lumber.  Most people who own woods do not
use  it  for  anything (at least here in the states) and I would think
that  given  that  it  would  be possible to talk to folks and do some
conservation  cutting  in  other  folks  woods if they were approached
properly.   I  just  skimmed that mail so I don't know if it was about
commercial  production  or  backyard  production  but  coming  from  a
homesteading  list  I  would assume the latter.  I would think it is a
matter  of   wise  and  judicious  and  conscientious  use  of  forest
resources,  keeping  in mind the needs of wildlife.  Although I am not
with  the  PETA  crowd  I  do  believe  we share our world and have an
obligation  to  conserve  our  resources  and be mindful of other life
forms.

Happy Happy,

Gustl
--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
Mitglied-Team AMIGA
ICQ: 22211253-Gustli
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Stra§e liegen,
da§ sie gerade deshalb von der gewšhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin