Hi Brian

>Thanks for the forward.  I find it disturbing that the article is
>recommenting conversion to wood alcohol

Wood gas, not wood alcohol. Producer gas. Here:
http://journeytoforever.org/at_woodfire.html#woodgas

>as a potential energy
>alternative, even to the point of giving recommendations on how to
>cut down trees.  Yes, trees are renewable, but not quickly.  Our
>tree reserve would fail even more quickly than our oil reserve, and
>the consequences would be even more dire.
>
>Brian

You're looking at the wrong paradigm, IMHO. I know it's hard, but we
all have to get used to the idea of looking at familiar things in a
different and unfamiliar light, in a different context, with
different relationships among them, and between them and us. Going on
and on playing the same old business-as-usual game with a few quick
fixes and band-aids stuck on it isn't going to work. That's what's
got us here now, and it's not at all where we're supposed to have
been, to our great cost and everybody else's, including the not-yet
born. This has all been known for 30 years, and until very recently
we'd done NOTHING about it. The worst offenders have still done
nothing about it. And we sneer at Nero and King Canute.

Sorry to say all that, and this, but "our tree reserve" and "our oil
reserve" are the wrong indicators. We can see all the projections
being made, of growth in fossil-fuel use based on current use and
recent rates of increase and projected economic growth and so on and
so on, the US DoE forecasts that biodiesel will account for
such-and-such a proportion of national fuel use in 20 years at
current growth rates - it's not going to happen.

One reason I forwarded this message from Tvo is that he's talking
about what we often talk about here, many of us, when we discuss a
rational and sustainable energy future and the role biodiesel and
other biofuels can play in it. Mere substitution of fossil-fuel use
by biofuel use is not an answer. It will take great reductions in
energy use, great improvements in energy efficiency, and perhaps most
important, decentralisation of energy supply to  local level, along
with the use of all available technologies in appropriate combination
according to local conditions.

Tvo is talking about that local level, on a homestead: how to power
your homestead/farm. I've often discussed that here, and said a
mixed, integrated, sustainable farm (likely to be a "small" farm) can
supply its own fuel without any fossil-fuel inputs and without the
use of much or any dedicated land, mostly or completely from an
ever-changing variety of by-products, with probably an excess to
supply to the community. A woodlot of some kind is an essential
element in such a mixed, integrated, sustainable farm, better still
with a lot more trees than just those in the woodlot. Trees and
woodlots are very productive. This is not the monocrop slash-and-burn
nightmare of the biomass plantations the central energy planners
envision. These are multiple species of multi-use trees at many
stages of growth. Tvo's scheme is completely feasible and he knows
it, he's done it, and he's not the only one.

He just posted this at that list, in a message in a different thread:

"Large-scale, the charcoal market can be environmentally destructive,
small-scale you can confine it to trash products in your woodlot that
aren't even good as compost. And yes, homestead products CAN compete
with industrial-scale products.  You just have to be selective which
products you produce and how they are distributed."

Looked at from the central view, people throw up their arms in dismay
at the idea of charcoal, and quite right too, the way they'd go about
it.

What isn't feasible, not even now, let alone when the crunch hits
home, is the way the industrialised societies, especially the US,
currently waste energy as if there's no tomorrow. Look at these
figures:

On a per capita basis, the US uses 5.4 times more than its fair share
of the world's energy, the EU 2.6 times its share, Germany 2.6 times
its share, France 2.8 times its share, Japan 2.7 times its share,
Australia 3.8 times its share.

India uses one-fifth of its fair share, Sudan less than one-fifth its
share, Nepal less than one-fifth its share.

The average American uses twice as much energy as the average
European or Japanese and 155 times as much as the average Nepalese.

In terms of production, Americans produce more per head than
Europeans and about the same as Japanese, but they use twice as much
energy as the Japanese to do it. With about twice the population of
Japan, CO2 emissions in the US are nearly five times higher than
Japan's.

World energy use
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_404.html#energyuse
World's top CO2 producers
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_404.html#co2

The last time I mentioned these figures here I was told this: "I
don't have a fair share of fuel, I buy it. If only 4% of the worlds
population is advanced enough to live an American life style, well,
too bad for the rest." (That by the person who prompted you to sign
yourself "the other Brian".)

The reality is that those production figures above are not of prime
importance, "unlimited economic growth" is something it's past time
to forget about, and all the fuel- and energy-use projections with
it. We're hitting the bottom of the barrel, and not just with oil.
"Sustainability" isn't just a buzz-word, it means what we have to do
so we can go on living. People and societies junked out on
"business-as-usual" and "too bad for the rest" are deluded, it's a
dinosaur's view, and the asteroid is to hand.

Imagine 10 United States of Americas, with everybody eating food
every day. Now if you had to use wood to cook all that food how many
trees would it take? Could we grow enough trees? Wouldn't it wipe out
"our tree reserve" and all the forests with it very damn' quickly?
It's just not possible, right?

Actually that many people or more, about three billion of them, cook
their meals every day over woodfires, often rather inefficient
woodfires, and though it often causes severe indoor air-pollution
problems, it hardly ever wipes out forests. Generally woodfire
cooking is not a major cause of deforestation, quite the opposite,
the communities involved maintain the forests they depend on. How
many Americans could do that? In fact quite a lot could, including
Tvo.

So, considering what the future holds in store for us, who's advanced, really?

Best wishes

Keith