Thanks for passing on this anecdote relating the opinion of a person
at Toyota.  I think it's of some use to try to piece together what
some executives at these companies are thinking and seeing.

As I think this out, I'm not sure, but I think it may be the first
time I've ever seen any executive anywhere at an auto company verify,
even just fourth-hand, even just by incidental reference, that they
have a problem defying the wishes of the Oil industry.  I mean: the
first time I've really seen this in writing.

My take on Toyota, and some of the other companies such as Honda (the
first to introduce a hybrid to the U.S.), is that they have approached
some of these matters like this: they are ahead of many (not all, but
many), of the alt-fuel and better-mileage efforts of the other
companies.  Therefore, so the reasoning goes, they can get away with
(for now) not pushing the envelope "too much" to the point where it
might violate any de facto (explicit or implicit) edicts they have
received from those who supply fuel for their products.

Thus, for example, we see Toyota doing a pretty good EV, and knowing
that some of its customers in the U.S. want to keep it, and buy more
(such as the Utility SCE which has owned two or three hundred and
would be glad to keep many of them or buy more) but they hide behind
the usual... liability law concerns, supposed lack of demand, costs
too high... whatever excuses seem handy.

Other tactics include I think preserving "plausible deniability" for
some executives... By this I mean that they may keep themselves
unaware that there is demand for alternatives.  It seems to me I heard
of one incident where Greg Hansen, a California Activist for EVs, was
able to get this through, very slightly, at a meeting a few years ago
where a Toyota executive claimed that consumer demand had been poor
for the RAV4 EV (or something like that... it's been awhile since I
heard this story) and Hansen, in a particularly lucid exchange held
forth from the audience that the RAV4 EV HAD NEVER BEEN OFFERED TO
CONSUMERS in California.  If I recall (and I might not be correct) it
had been offered as a lease (but not a purchase to fleet people).

The Executive seemed unaware of this and soon thereafter Toyota did
allegedly make the RAV4 available to consumers not only by lease but
by purchase.

But they only did it at 25 or so California dealerships, only in
limited numbers (that ended once they were all bought up), etc.

Apologies if this story has inaccuracies... it's been awhile.

So, what we see here, is this idea of Toyota being slightly different,
a little bit ahead, but (after pushing the envelope a little) still
returning in the end to comply with the (apparently) worldwide
in-force rule against any major manufacturer making it possible for
consumers to *consider* buying a vehicle that does not push them into
using petroleum-industry fuel.

Consumers are then inaccurately informed that they have allegedly
considered and rejected such vehicles.  This is an addition of
insult-to-injury that we may be surprised to see honorable executives
at 'better' companies contribute to, but I think it "is what it is".
Many of us, myself included, are admirers of Toyota, above many other
companies, but when a friend or an admired person or an admired
company lies, sometimes we don't know what to say, except to point it
out.  I'm sorry Toyota, but you're not telling the truth.  Period.
You're fudging.  Stop it.  We've had it.

This is not to say that your friend or acquaintance was lying... When
I talk about lying I mean that Toyota and a few others get away with
their real policy (adhering to fuel company wishes, for now) while
fudging things in public and stating a somewhat different set of
reasonings (i.e.: claiming that "nobody wants" thus-and-such vehicles,
or that the economics of mass production do not apply to certain
technologies, or that emissions are allegedly too much of a problem of
thus-and-such vehicle-and-fuel combination, or that PHEV vehicles are
not for now an idea worth pursuing, etc.)

MM