Hello Ryan,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Morgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004 1:51 PM
Subject: [biofuel] RE: [biofuels] Re: US poll about Iraq war

> Hey Todd et al, let's not make this personal, did you perhaps not see my
> ":)?".  I was merely saying that we have all benefited in the long run
from
> the genocide that happened in North America in the past.

How ? Are they sequential or consequential? Do you imply that techonological
progress is unattainable without the genocide ? Another case of us vs. them
or more preceisely US vs.them ?

> One cannot judge history by modern standards, that's History 101!  America
is single-handedly
> the most innovative populace the world has ever known period.

The USA is primarily a land of immigrants, and innovativeness and vigour are
characteristic of all immigrant populations who have to struggle all the
harder in an alien clime. Take away the immigrants and what is left of the
USA ?  Besides, your claim to single handed exclusivity for all these
advances bespeaks a monumental ignorance of how technology is advanced in
small incremental steps. Remember Newton and the shoulders of giants ?

> Look around you, the technology our democracy and free markets have
produced and
> continue to produce have saved countless more lives, and provided for even
> more than were lost in the settling of this land.  We are all benefiting
> from this, our life expectancy is much higher than even two generations
ago,
> and our quality of life is unimaginable to those in the past.  Do you like
> your medicine?  Your efficient, convenient way of life?  Your
entertainment,
> refrigerator, how about your computer, it's software and the Internet?
Have
> you ever used a phone, or turned on a light, or read a newspaper, or
> wondered about the mysteries of Space?  This country has developed more
> technology than any other past or present, that we are all benefiting
from.

What has all this got to do with the original genocide? All countries in the
world continue to contribute to the US in terms of quality manpower, the
essential in any innovative enterprise. To get a peep into how developing
countries underwrite these costs even today, visit
http://www.deeshaa.org/who_paid.html

> Furthermore, who does the world look to for justice in the world?

Ask the Afghans, the Iraqis and the Palestinians not to mention the
Vietnamese, and the disenfranchised blacks and Hispanics in your own
backyard. In fact, the USA has put itself beyond the pale of the
International Court of Justice, as has India.

> Were it not the Americans who emerged victorious in WWI and WWII saving
the world
> from tyranny and genocide?

The USA joined the WWII rather late, only after the attack on Pearl Harbour.
This is almost as bad as the Soviet claim that they won the WW II for the
rest of the world, without mentioning their sinister role pre 1940.

> Did anyone else contribute more to the plight of the South Koreans, the
Vietnamese, the Kuwaitis and Saudis, or to the people
> of Yugoslavia?

Duh ? More or less ? And the Vietnamese ? !!! Do you know what is the
contribution from other countries to maintaining peace in the hot spots of
the world under UN supervision? USA is way way down in that list.

>Who stopped the communists from taking over the world?
> Has anyone else offered to bail out countless corrupt government after
corrupt
> government, saving people from poverty, without even asking to be re-paid?

Why did the USA do that ? Did it have something to do with perceived saving
their chestnut from the fire. Do you remember Marcos, Yahya Khan, The Shah
of Iran ?  Do you know of a democractically elected person by the name of
Allende ?   And what about the compensation these autocratic friends of the
USA in the Middle East shelled
out for the earlier Gulf war? No altruism here, hmm ?

> Do I condone genocide?  Of course not.  But we, in this day and age, have
> all benefited from it.  That is all I am saying.

How ?

> As for my comments on the need to reduce incentive for stability in the
> Middle East, I apologize for painting anyone on this list (who did not
want
> to be painted) as working toward reducing dependency on foreign oil,
> specifically oil from the Middle East.  What I meant to say, is that I am
> working to reduce our dependency on foreign oil so that we as a nation
have
> less of a reason (incentive) to meddle in the affairs of the Middle East.

A laudable objective, no doubt. In fact this is the only place I find you
sensible and sensitive.

> As far as I can tell (and I have never been there) the region is fraught
> with religious strife, brutality, ignorance, and hatred.  In short, most
of
> the countries there seem almost laughably behind the times given their
> resources, corrupt, and no place to be if you were born with fallopian
tubes
> and a uterus.  Islamic law fosters fear, slows progress, and is easily
> abused by those in power.  We are fighting the evil, backward, minority in
> Iraq for many reasons, oil, hope, and liberation among them.  We have
> attempted to provide them with hope for a brighter future, teach them
about
> democracy and free trade, so that we may watch them prosper, and no one
can
> seem to get past centuries old grudges and hatred toward one another and
us.

Agreed that the Middle East today does not reflect its glorious past and can
do with much improvement in human and gender rights. But does not USA or
India or any other country for that matter have its share of such people ?
The major reason democracy has not sprouted in these parts is the patronage
and close ties that the ruling elites have enjoyed with the USA, which has
been as keen to appear to maintain democracy at home as in propping up
venal, corrupt
and pliant dictatorships in the rest of the world, all in the national
interest of course. Why else do you think the people of the Third World even
today are left leaning ?

> It got so bad, one man ordered the hijacking and crashing of our own
planes
> (once again our inventions) into our own skyscrapers (dido) because we had
> established a base in "The Holy Land" to promote stability in the region,
> and he couldn't handle we "Infidels" on his turf.  Where were the Muslims
> after 9/11?  I sure didn't hear cries of outrage and condemnation from
their
> community, did you?  In fact the silence, at least state-side, was
> deafening.  We are "infidels," and every good Muslim must rid the world of
> infidels according to the Koran, am I right?  So I say, "Fine, you want me
> dead?  I'll fight you back by not buying your oil and watching you figure
> out the world doesn't work that way anymore and changing.
> I buy and promote biodiesel to give the people of the Middle East
incentive
> to find another line of work and move forward.

> As for the non-American majority on this list, stop and consider, for a
moment where you would be
> without us.

I find this begging my first question -  Where would the USA be without the
rest of the non American (sic) world ?

I come from an ancient land, where a more encompassing, inclusive and
holistic way of life has been practiced for millenia, long before the advent
of any civilisation in Europe, let alone the New World. We had and continue
to have a living democratic tradition in our village Panchayats, where
disputes
were debated and settled in a fair and just manner. We are the world's
largest
democracy and continue to cherish humanistic values. Our elections ae by and
large
fair. Withall, there are a whole raft of warts all over our bodies politic
and social and
no amount of nay saying will make them go away. As in much of life all over
this global
village, there is much to rejoice about and much to grieve over.

I find you very selective about facts and amnesic about large tracts of
recorded history.   The patriot in you is possibly struggling to prove that
his country is the best for the sole reason that he was born in it. I find
the tenor of you mail at a very low ebb, the approach very narrow and
exclusivistic and the attitude juvenile. You are bad publicity for millions
of your
decent and thoughtful countrymen.

Please try to assimilate facts that militate against your pet beliefs, if
only to
improve your worldview and achieve the balance that is so sadly lacking in
your
perspective. Weigh your words before you speak. Token deference to the other
list members
aided by sly winks notwithstanding your mail is insulting not only to the
self respect of the majority
but to the intelligence of a moderately informed citizen of the world.

Regards.

balaji