Hi Darren

>Keith,
>
>       You wrote:-
>
> > Some studies have found that, others not. Some users have found that
> > too, others not. It also depends on the oil being used, some
> > polymerize much more easily than others. (Biodiesel made from those
> > oils will also polymerise, but not as quickly.) It's something of an
> > SVO myth that SVO  can be produced from decentralized small oil
> > expellers - ie straight from the plant. SVO must be refined first,
> > including degumming. See "Straighter-than-straight vegetable oils as
> > diesel fuels":
> > http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_SVO-Allen.html
> >

>I have recently read a paper
>
>PURIFICATION OF COLD PRESSED RAPESEED OIL TO USE AS A FUEL
>FOR ADAPTED DIESEL ENGINES
>E. Remmele 1 , B. Widmann 2
>12th European Conference on Biomass for Energy, Industry and Climate
>Protection, 17-21 June 2002, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
>
>That details the processes used by the 180 or so small scale German oil
>mills for production of rapeseed oil fuel.  The paper suggests that they
>cold press and then either use a filter or a sedimentation process
>followed by a safety filter and then the fuel is ready, complying with
>the Weihenstephan standard.

... as featured at the excellent VegBurner website at 9 Oil Types and
Filtering:
http://www.vegburner.co.uk/

Hm, some familiar looking tables there. :-)

Anyway...

>I guess that the level of production and usage of fuel from these mills
>would point to degumming being unnecessary with rapeseed oil?

Seems it does contain gum:

"Gums compose about 2% of solvent-extracted rapeseed oil (Salunkhe
et. al., 1992)."
http://www.wsu.edu/~gmhyde/433_web_pages/433Oil-web-pages/Rapeseed1/Ra
pe&Canola_oils_1.html

And that its removal is necessary:

"It has been demonstrated that the use of crude (gum content c. 2%)
or degummed crude (gum content of 1.4%, this study) rapeseed oil
leads to performance problems including filter blockages and engine
coking. Gums are a major precursor of gel formation which becomes
particularly problematic at temperatures below 2 ¡C. These problems
can be ameliorated by using rapeseed oil which has been degummed to
food grade standard (gum content < 0.2 %)."
http://www.regional.org.au/au/gcirc/6/214.htm
Results of engine and vehicle testing of semi-refined rapeseed oil

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/9bTolB/TM