Karl Kuras wrote:

> > At its most basic, Adventure + Action, subgenres Cyberpunk, Dark Sci-Fi.
>
> Come on... simply calling it Action Adventure ignores the Character
> development aspects

Sorry, I may have forgotten to add subgenre Role-Playing, which should be
there.

> of the game and simply labeling a game where shooting
> occurs as Action would lump Space Invaders, Doom and Tomb Raider into the
> same category

The same BASIC category, yes.  However, please note that I chose two basic
genres to classify it, Adventure + Action, and Doom and Tomb Raider would NOT
fit into that.

Games are the summary of their parts.  MobyGames tries to make sure the parts
are clearly defined and labeled.

> and let's face it, that is like saying that The French
> Connection, Rambo and Hard Boiled are all action movies, but they really
> have little to nothing in common and probably wouldn't even appeal to the
> same group of people.

But that doesn't change the fact that they are action movies.  We're not
debating whether or not those games are similar, we're debating how to
classify them.
--
http://www.MobyGames.com/
The world's most comprehensive gaming database project.