> Too many classifications and you fall into the trap of gamedex.com.  They
have
> over 200 categories, which makes their classification system ludicrous.
Just
> one look:
>
> Action Advenuture
> Cartoonish Action Adventure
> Fantasy Action Adventure
> Sci-fi Action Adventure
> Horror Action Adventure
> Action Hero Adventure
> Super Hero Advenutre
> Spy Action Adventure
>
> ..and you know they're beyond help.  Hopefully I don't need to explain why
> this is a Very Bad Idea(tm).

The  distinctions you chose here as examples all go to the genre of the
story, which most people would agree is rather superflous in most cases,
because games are about the gameplay mechanics (is there really that much of
a difference in the gameplay of the SSI Buck Rogers game and any of their
Gold Box D&D titles?  The setting may be different but the game stays the
same.)

While getting into too many categories, especially what story genre's are
concerned is an issue, using such overly broad categories to describe
differing game play is no help either.  And let's face it the use of
sub-genre's is just more categories without saying as much.

I understand the need to find a limited amount of categories for
classification purposes, but because these categories need to break down the
interaction that the game allows with the world being generated on the
computer, and the many ways that that interaction can be achieved, IMHO I
feel that such a broad approach is insufficient.

I don't see why adding a few extra categories would throw everything into
chaos, especially when those new categories would better describe the
interface and nature of gameplay, which is what brings people to the game.
and define what they like (think of the folks who  hated text adventures but
loved Sierra games (I knew a lot of those)).

Karl Kuras