On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, bghost wrote:

> What is the limit? How deep a developer should go with the "re-
> factoring"?
> Is it necessary to split templates into numerous small fragments

Not necessary no. Possible yes. Useful, yes sometimes.

e.g. Same form will be used for both new and edit actions, so it doesn't
make sense to duplicate code in two templates (two places to edit to fix
anything), so making it a partial/component makes sense. Im sure even you
can see the benefit of being able to fix something in ONE place rather
than having to go through all the templates.

This has nothing to do with the language or framework - its just common
sense, its why we use constants and variables instead of hard-coding
values right? This is just basic stuff you learn as a beginner in
programming.

> and
> thus make
> them an extremely confusing and difficult to track?

Not confusing if you actually learn the framework - there is a logic
behind it.

> I heard many
> times: "Yes,
> re-factore it ...yes, yes, yes..ooooh....re-factore it!" even if that
> is justified or not.

Im guessing you think it is not justified, or dont understand why.

> Most of you said that Symfony Framework enables developers to
> concentrate
> on business logic? Yes, that's OK. I just wanted to warn that in these
> efforts,
> Symfony developers are exaggerating a bit, which resulted with the
> intricate
> logic of the Symfony framework that hides the flow of the application
> to the level
> where it is very difficult to understand and monitor the application.

You really can only say that if you have learnt several frameworks and
understand them. Go read up on Rails or Django for some perspective. Or
try writing your own framework - you will spend a *lot* of time writing
database or view functions, or end up writing those as libraries (if
you're good, they will be reusable, if not you will be rewriting them
for every project). When we say symfony allows us to concentrate on
business logic, its because we dont have to write the database layer or
template layer. In other words, while you're busy writing the database
layer, i.e. concentrating on the 'plumbing', we're already writing
actions/templates for our application, i.e. picking furniture and looking
at swatches.

I know all these design patterns might be 'scary' but only if you're not
willing to keep an open mind and learn new things.

For the record, Im probably come from a similar background (i.e. BASIC,
assembly language, Pascal, C, Java, Perl, PHP, Ruby), but the day I stop
learning is when Im dead or no longer in technology.