On 9 Jan 2010, at 14:15, Sid Bachtiar wrote:

> Open source with premium support is the way to go, because you get the
> best of both worlds. You get open source product, and you get
> commercial support.

Absolutely, and I fully agree.

I also agree with your other points - the point I'm trying to put across is; as
a business, you shouldn't rely on the open source community for fixing bugs or
providing support that may be critical to your company - the open source
community largely won't care if your business depends on the software, or if it
will go out of business because of a certain bug.

Your motivation to fix the bug is to stay in business, or to continue offering
a quality service. The community's isn't.

Paying for premium support for open source is the best way forward, this is
much easier for open source projects "managed" by companies - the likes of
Symfony, Drupal, MySQL, RedHat EL, Magento, SugarCRM etc. Where there is no
single entity managing an open source project, it's more difficult to be
confident that any company offering support for a specific open source software
package has the credentials for doing so - and in many cases, they don't -
which further perpetuates the counter argument.