Ondrej Certik wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> sorry for my late reply, I was moving to Nevada/Reno, but now things
> seem to settle down a bit.
>

>> Have added minimal doc files to repository (~100K attached patch file).
>> They compiled OK with 'make html'.  I will do it this way from now on.
>>

> Now it looks good, thanks for the patch!
>
> I pushed your patch into my repository here for the time being:
>
> http://github.com/certik/sympy/tree/alan2
>
> What happens if people don't have latex installed? E.g. how
> matplotlib/numpy/scipy handle this? I want to follow the same path.
> Then I push it in.
>
> Ondrej

Would a simple answer be to not have the xdvi function call latex and
xdvi if they are not in the path and simply generate a .tex output file
(operate in the same way as LatexPrinter).  That would be a simple
change.  Of course why would anyone use a latex driver if they didn't
have latex and xdvi?  Note that I did not have to use the latex_ex
module to display the results, but the ascii version of the output would
not be as clear.