Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Alan Bromborsky <abro...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alan,
>>>
>>> sorry for my late reply, I was moving to Nevada/Reno, but now things
>>> seem to settle down a bit.

>>> Now it looks good, thanks for the patch!
>>>
>>> I pushed your patch into my repository here for the time being:
>>>
>>> http://github.com/certik/sympy/tree/alan2
>>>
>>> What happens if people don't have latex installed? E.g. how
>>> matplotlib/numpy/scipy handle this? I want to follow the same path.
>>> Then I push it in.
>>>
>>> Ondrej
>>>

>> Would a simple answer be to not have the xdvi function call latex and
>> xdvi if they are not in the path and simply generate a .tex output file
>> (operate in the same way as LatexPrinter).  That would be a simple
>> change.  Of course why would anyone use a latex driver if they didn't
>> have latex and xdvi?  Note that I did not have to use the latex_ex
>>

> That's right, but I meant doing "make html". If you do that, it runs
> latex (with your patch applied), at least for me. So I was just
> curious what happens if I don't have latex and if it breaks, how to
> fix it, or wheter we should require latex present to build our docs.
>

>> module to display the results, but the ascii version of the output would
>> not be as clear.
>>

> Right.
>
> Ondrej

Duh on my part.  I didn't even think about the documentation.  If you
use the 'math' directive you have to have latex.  If you are going to
use any latex math constructs in the documentation you need latex.
Considering what sympy is you will need math constructs at some point to
document it so latex is required to make html.  Considering that latex
is free I don't think that is a big deal.  Also consider that whoever
will be using sympy probably also does latex.  Meanwhile I will modify
latex_ex so that it produces a latex file and does not generate an error
even if latex and xdvi are not present.