On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Comer <comer.dun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given that things are somewhat screwed up and given that there are only two
> files which were changed in the process (sympy/matrices/matrices.py and
> sympy/matrices/tests/test_matrices.py) I am now thinking it would be simpler
>
> 1. cp the two files somewhere for safe keeping.

This works as long as nobody has changed the files since you worked on
them, otherwise you end up having to sort out the changes. It's better
if you can just copy the functions that were changed. BUT...

I really don't think this is necessary. Regardless of how the branch
got named, github thinks the name of the branch that got pushed is
47b923f . Let it think so. Just go to your test1 branch and make a
copy named 47b923f and push it to github:

git checkout test1
git checkout -b 47b923f
git push -f comer 47b923f

I squashed all your commits into one and can confirm that they rebase
on master without problem and contain only changes to 4 files. I'll
push that squashed branch and make a few comments there so you can see
them (https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1253 ).

> 2. get a clean clone of sympy from github and put it in a new directory away
> from the diseased tree.

I don't think you have a problem (based on my clone of your repo).
Make sure, however, that your prompt is set to show you exactly where
you are, e.g. here's what mine looks like:

chriss@CHRIS-LT ~/sympy (test1)
$ git checkout head~1
Note: checking out 'head~1'.

You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in this
state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.

If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again. Example:

  git checkout -b new_branch_name

HEAD is now at 3215b20... Add Angadh Nanjangud to AUTHORS/aboutus. Welcome to Sy
mPy!

chriss@CHRIS-LT ~/sympy ((3215b20...))

Notice how the SHA1 is shown rather than the branch name...this is
what tells me that I am not at the branch head.

> 6. close the #1229 pull request.

If what I suggested above works, this won't be necessary.

> 8. apologise for wasting people's time

You learn and we all learn how to help people. It's a win-win. No problem :-)