Am 19.04.2012 19:13, schrieb Comer:
[homelap-3:~/sympy] comerduncan% git rebase -i master test1
error: could not apply d5da8bd... fixed indention problems with matrices.py
and content problems with test_matrices.py both having to do with addition
of dual_matrix method
hint: after resolving the conflicts, mark the corrected paths
hint: with 'git add<paths>' and run 'git rebase --continue'
Could not apply d5da8bd... fixed indention problems with matrices.py and
content problems with test_matrices.py both having to do with addition of
dual_matrix method

That last message shouldn't have come twice. I'm not sure what's going on, from a really messed-up commit history to a copy&paste mistake, everything is possible.

I got an editor window which I saved and then exited from the editor
(TextWrangler).

Sounds like you tried a git commit somewhere.
git should also have listed those files that have a conflict. You can get that list anytime by issuing git status.

(BTW git branch will tell you you're not on any branch while a rebase is in progress, that's normal.)

> I do not know the value of<paths>  so can not do the git
add<paths>  step.

That's the filename, with enough directory name components to identify it from the current directory.