On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Comer <comer.dun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:44:03 PM UTC-4, smichr wrote:
>>

>> > [ComerMacPro:~] comerduncan% cd sympy
>> > [ComerMacPro:~/sympy] comerduncan% git branch
>> >   master
>> > * test1
>> > [ComerMacPro:~/sympy] comerduncan% git branch -D 47b923f
>> > error: branch '47b923f' not found.
>> >
>> > So, what gives?  Sorry.
>>
>> You can't delete the branch you are on :-) move to master first.
>

> Well, ok:).  However, note
>
> [ComerMacPro:~/sympy] comerduncan% git branch
>   master
> * test1
> [ComerMacPro:~/sympy] comerduncan% git checkout master
> Checking out files: 100% (53/53), done.
> Switched to branch 'master'
> Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 10 commits.
> [ComerMacPro:~/sympy] comerduncan% git branch
> * master
>   test1
> [ComerMacPro:~/sympy] comerduncan% git branch -D 47b923f
> error: branch '47b923f' not found.
>
> I must have things very screwed up...

I have been keeping about half an eye on this conversation lately, so
I'm absolutely out of topic, but I'll still try.

"47b923f" looks like a commit hash rather than a branch name.
Moreover, git branch shows that you don't have a branch with this
name, so my guess is that you don't need to delete it :-)

I'm now looking at the pull request
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1229 , is this the one the
discussion is about?

Judging from what I see there, it looks like you've sent a pull
request not from a *branch*, but from a *commit*.  [0] says that it's
possible:

  Pull requests can be sent from any branch or commit but it’s
  recommended that a topic branch be used so that follow-up commits
  can be pushed to update the pull request if necessary.

As far as I understand the situation, you will *not* now be able to
update the pull request #1229.

The cleanest way out I envision is to close the pull request #1229 and
to submit a new pull request, this time from the branch test1.  To
submit this new pull request, you will have to ensure that test1 on
GitHub contains all your latest changes, then select "test1" in the
little drop-down to the left of the tab "Files" and under the clone
URLs, and finally click the "Pull Request" button immediately under
you GitHub ID (top-right corner of the page).

There *may* be other solutions, my experience with GitHub is not that
extensive yet, so feel free to wait for other to react as well :-)

Sergiu

[0] http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests/

P.S. I added emphatic asterisks not to shout, but to stress key points
:-)