On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:04:03AM -0600, Ondřej Čertík wrote:
> > Actually, this just means that we have mpmath fork.
>
> That's right.
>
> [...]
>
> One should only depend on libraries, that are well supported and widely
used.
> Mpmath is not. For example on my Ubuntu, here are all the projects that
depend
> on mpmath
>
> [...]
>
> As such, sympy is the only project that actually depends on mpmath

Taking into account all this. Do you think, mpmath should actually be
a separate project?

If it's a pet project for sympy - why it's not just a part of sympy?

If not, I don't think that the small current number of mpmath's users
(not total, but ones using mpmath AND NOT sympy) is an argument that
this project is not well supported and we should encourage forking.

> It could and it should, but arguably mpmath gets much better testing
> when many of sympy users run our test suite.

mpmath could run own test suite, in mpmath/tests/ (perhaps, we need a
patch for this?).  There should be no decrease in test coverage at
least.

> Now for projects like Debian or Fedora, which do allow easy dependency
> installation, we should provide an easy switch in our setup.py.

Ok. I think, we got your points. Let's see, if there is other opinions.

> I apologize for the longer email, but this issue is something that I
> want to make clear, as it is my highest priority that sympy remains
> easy to use and install.

Through, you don't provide any examples of difficulties with mpmath's
installation.