Perhaps we should remove the instruction to introduce yourself to the
list from the instructions. I realize those can get quite spammy.

Maybe the best way for students to simply introduce themselves would
be to mention that they are apply to GSoC when they open their first
pull request. Since they have to open a pull request anyway, this
should reduce the noise. Posts to the list should be reduced to actual
questions about the projects themselves. I do want things to be done
publicly, so that the community can be involved, but I also appreciate
that the mailing list can become a bit noisy at this time of year and
that a large fraction of GSoC related posts are, unfortunately, of
very low quality.

Aaron Meurer