that is true, feed validator would have its own agent definition (unless they mask as say mozilla). hmm interesting.
thanks for the help. well these izynews ones are the most worrying because there are so many of them. I would hate to have to dump them becuase I can't read them. I would be very interested if you could read them without either using a standard browser or setting an agent header from a standard client. firefox fails on these, internet explorer gets an html redirect, and I get 404 which like I said I reckon is really a 403, but they can't be bothered to tell me why I am being 403'd so I get a 404. http://izynews.de/amazon.rel/1027140 http://izynews.de/de/dir/rss/Bildung%20%26%20Wissenschaft.xml http://izynews.de/monster/1350/3976/10 http://izynews.de/ohg/plce/1404 http://izynews.de/de/dir/rss/Immobilien.Bayern.Neu-Ulm.xml and here is a google xml result from google news, http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=bush&ie=UTF-8&output=rss I am positive that google is blocking the client, they do the same thing with searches, you can't send a google search without the api unless you are a standard client. --- Joseph Becher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > No, feed validator would be running the check as > it'self. That's partly why > I used it. > > give me a URL and I'll play if you want, I could use > a break from my current > programming project. > > On 8/21/05, Kent Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > wrote: > > > > Feed validator is running from your browser > > (presumably), and your browser is saying hi I am > so > > and so, and google is happy with that. There > really is > > no question if it is valid, just who is allowed to > > read it. > > > > but even weirder than that, I just discovered > another > > bugbear related to this, a german provider > izynews. > > There are probably about 10,000 entries in syndic8 > for > > these guys. syndic8 seems to poll them perfectly > and > > now when I use my program I get HTTP/1.1 404 Not > > found, which makes no sense, unless they are also > not > > liking my client, ie they don't recognise me as a > > valid client, and sending me the wrong error > message. > > I just don't understand this one at all. There > seems > > to be a redirect mechanism, which I believe I am > > following. > > > > I would be very curious how the clever clogs at > > syndic8 are managing to read those feeds. I reckon > cuz > > izzy provides a service they also block certain > > clients and that syndic8 is loggingin somehow, but > > this is wild speculation. > > > > --- Joseph Becher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > > > FeedValidator seems to not mind it: > > > > > > > > http://www.feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnwshp%3Fhl%3Den%26tab%3Dwn%26q%3D%26output%3Drss > > > > > > Does you programs work with other feeds? is the > url > > > wrong maybe? > > > > > > On 8/21/05, Kent Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > Hmm maybe you are right. But in a browser you > > > don't > > > > need to be logged in to read the feed. > > > > > > > > I know for a fact that if I login in using the > > > google > > > > api it will work, but it seems a bit overboard > and > > > > unneccesarily secure. In my experience Google > is > > > > always afraid of scrapers and zealously blocks > > > clients > > > > it can't recognise, and now they have gone and > > > made an > > > > implementation unfriendly to news aggregetors. > > > Maybe I > > > > am way off base, but I would have a hard time > > > > understanding how a news aggregator could read > > > these > > > > feeds unless a) they access with the google > api or > > > b) > > > > they masqueraded the client as mozilla, > firefox, > > > > opera, or ie, c) set up some sort of logged in > > > > connection. > > > > > > > > --- Joseph Becher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > > > > > > > 403... Are you sure you don't need to login > into > > > > > your google account to view > > > > > the feed? > > > > > > > > > > On 8/21/05, Kent Gibson > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > that's my problem I am not using a > browser, I > > > am > > > > > using > > > > > > a program that I wrote, and I am wondering > if > > > any > > > > > > other news aggregetor programs will also > have > > > > > problems > > > > > > reading those feeds. > > > > > > > > > > > > --- Tara Calishain > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > > wrote: > > > > > > > > > > > > > At 08:20 AM 8/21/2005, you wrote: > > > > > > > >After all the fanfare that Google would > > > start > > > > > to > > > > > > > use > > > > > > > >feeds for google news, it seems that > unless > > > you > > > > > > > mask > > > > > > > >your client as mozilla or ie (or > another > > > > > approved > > > > > > > >client), you can't access them. I keep > > > getting > > > > > > > >HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >I wonder if they have a list of > approvated > > > > > > > aggregators > > > > > > > >or something. google only says > "Important: > > > you > > > > > > > must > > > > > > > >use a feed reader in order to subscribe > to > > > > > website > > > > > > > >feeds." > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >does anyone know more about this? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Um, what browser are you using? I use > Opera > > > and > > > > > have > > > > > > > had no trouble... > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Tara > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ____________________________________________________ > > > > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your > home > > > > > page > > > > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > If you're getting "too much mail" then > send a > > > > > message to: > > > > > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > > > > (this will tell it to stop sending you > mail) > > > > > > > > > > > > To change your membership use THIS WEB > PAGE: > > > > > > > > > > http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join > > > > > > (here you can set your mail to digest, no > mail > > > or > > > > > LEAVE the list) > > > > > > > > > > > > To find more info about Syndicated XML > > > newsfeeds > > > > > visit > > > > > > http://www.syndic8.com/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------ > > > > > > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > - Visit your group "syndic8 > > > > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8>" > > > > > > on the web. > > > > > > - To unsubscribe from this group, send an > === message truncated === ____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <font face=arial size=-1><a href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h5sd84v/M=362343.6886682.7839641.1493532/D=groups/S=1706173512:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124670680/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com">Make a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving</a>.</font> --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (this will tell it to stop sending you mail) To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join (here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list) To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
