thanks Jeff for the offer, that is very kind, no
worries enjoy your vacation!

well I am stumped, hmm, the only other idea I have is
that I am using a library called httpclient and that
is using some agent header that is being rejected.

well no worries, I'll bust this baby open. 

thanks everyone for the pointers, it is nearly 2:00 am
here so I will wish everyone a good night.

--- Jeff Barr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kent Says,
> 
> > I would be very curious how the clever clogs at
> > syndic8 are managing to read those feeds. I reckon
> cuz
> > izzy provides a service they also block certain
> > clients and that syndic8 is loggingin somehow, but
> > this is wild speculation.  
> 
> I don't do anything special for any feeds. In fact,
> I don't 
> even sent the HTTP Host header that I am supposed to
> send. I don't do magic logins, since the purpose of
> Syndic8
> is for everyone else to find feeds to read. It
> wouldn't do 
> much good for Syndic8 to be able to read the feeds
> if
> the rest of the world was not able to do so. There
> is 
> a standard way for a URL to include a user name and
> password, and I have code to make sure that no such
> feeds are submitted by accident.
> 
> I am actually on vacation right now, but I would be
> happy
> to share some PHP code with you when I return, if
> you would
> like.
> 
> Jeff;
> 
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:32:06 -0000, "francistill"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> > The Izzynews feed links you provided return
> working web pages.
> > Cheers,
> > Francis
> > 
> > --- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Kent Gibson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Feed validator is running from your browser
> > > (presumably), and your browser is saying hi I am
> so
> > > and so, and google is happy with that. There
> really is
> > > no question if it is valid, just who is allowed
> to
> > > read it.
> > > 
> > > but even weirder than that, I just discovered
> another
> > > bugbear related to this, a german provider
> izynews.
> > > There are probably about 10,000 entries in
> syndic8 for
> > > these guys. syndic8 seems to poll them perfectly
> and
> > > now when I use my program I get HTTP/1.1 404 Not
> > > found, which makes no sense, unless they are
> also not
> > > liking my client, ie they don't recognise me as
> a
> > > valid client, and sending me the wrong error
> message.
> > > I just don't understand this one at all. There
> seems
> > > to be a redirect mechanism, which I believe I am
> > > following. 
> > > 
> > > I would be very curious how the clever clogs at
> > > syndic8 are managing to read those feeds. I
> reckon cuz
> > > izzy provides a service they also block certain
> > > clients and that syndic8 is loggingin somehow,
> but
> > > this is wild speculation.  
> > > 
> > > > > 
> > > > > I know for a fact that if I login in using
> the
> > > > google
> > > > > api it will work, but it seems a bit
> overboard and
> > > > > unneccesarily secure. In my experience
> Google is
> > > > > always afraid of scrapers and zealously
> blocks
> > > > clients
> > > > > it can't recognise, and now they have gone
> and
> > > > made an
> > > > > implementation unfriendly to news
> aggregetors.
> > > > Maybe I
> > > > > am way off base, but I would have a hard
> time
> > > > > understanding how a news aggregator could
> read
> > > > these
> > > > > feeds unless a) they access with the google
> api or
> > > > b)
> > > > > they masqueraded the client as mozilla,
> firefox,
> > > > > opera, or ie, c) set up some sort of logged
> in
> > > > > connection. 
> > > > > 
> > > > > --- Joseph Becher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > > > 
> > > > > > 403... Are you sure you don't need to
> login into
> > > > > > your google account to view 
> > > > > > the feed?
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > On 8/21/05, Kent Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > that's my problem I am not using a
> browser, I
> > > > am
> > > > > > using
> > > > > > > a program that I wrote, and I am
> wondering if
> > > > any
> > > > > > > other news aggregetor programs will also
> have
> > > > > > problems
> > > > > > > reading those feeds.
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > --- Tara Calishain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > At 08:20 AM 8/21/2005, you wrote:
> > > > > > > > >After all the fanfare that Google
> would
> > > > start
> > > > > > to
> > > > > > > > use
> > > > > > > > >feeds for google news, it seems that
> unless
> > > > you
> > > > > > > > mask
> > > > > > > > >your client as mozilla or ie (or
> another
> > > > > > approved
> > > > > > > > >client), you can't access them. I
> keep
> > > > getting
> > > > > > > > >HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >I wonder if they have a list of
> approvated
> > > > > > > > aggregators
> > > > > > > > >or something. google only says
> "Important:
> > > > you
> > > > > > > > must
> > > > > > > > >use a feed reader in order to
> subscribe to
> > > > > > website
> > > > > > > > >feeds."
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > >does anyone know more about this?
> > > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > Um, what browser are you using? I use
> Opera
> > > > and
> > > > > > have
> > > > > > > > had no trouble...
> > > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > Tara
> > > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > >
> ____________________________________________________
> > > > > > > Start your day with Yahoo! - make it
> your home
> > > > > > page 
> > > > > > > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > If you're getting "too much mail" then
> send a
> > > > > > message to:
> > > > > > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > > > > > (this will tell it to stop sending you
> mail)
> > > > > > > 
> > > > > > > To change your membership use THIS WEB
> PAGE: 
> 
=== message truncated ===



                
____________________________________________________
Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page 
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs 
 


------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
<font face=arial size=-1><a 
href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hamtaab/M=362131.6882500.7825259.1493532/D=groups/S=1706173512:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1124675693/A=2889190/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Put more honey in your pocket. (money matters made easy) Welcome to the Sweet 
Life - brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to