I agree with you regarding seeing so many bad feeds.
Also, are there any people that speak all the other languages I see so much of?
See ya,
J.

My Blog 
http://mcbsconsulting.blogspot.com


  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Lutz Schroeer 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:24 AM
  Subject: [syndic8] Has the syndic8 concept been overwhelmed?


  The concept of "user reviewed feeds" was established in 2001 by Jeff.
  In 2002 he wrote a press release:
  "Syndic8 Creates Directory of Over 4500 Syndicated News Sources"

  I did like this concept and joined syndic8 as a reviewer. In the
  beginning there were about 1000 feeds in the reviewing queue. But the
  number of feeds and the size of queue have grown constantly:

  * active feeds: 101,572
  * feeds ready for review: 245,397

  Why there are so many feed that need reviewing? Aren't there enough 
  reviewers? Is the interface too cumbersome? Is the process of
  reviewing too frustrating? Are there any other system immanent problems?

  I don't know how many active reviewers there are (but it would
  interest me), but I do know that I have to answer two questions with
  "Yes".

  I already wrote my opinion about the interface
  (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/message/5254). 

  But the frustrating part of reviewing is getting more and more into my
  view. Today I tried to review about 7 feed. The first 3 weren't
  reachable ("404" or "-2, 'Name or service not known'" from the
  validator) the next 4 gave me some basic XML warnings and errors.
  After that I *was* some kind of frustrated. 

  Why do *I* as a human have to do this basic checking? Of course it's
  important that a human checks if the language is correct, if the
  content's not offensive or racist, and stuff like that. A machine
  would have some problems.

  But simply telling if a feed is available or not? If it's valid XML?
  This could be easily done by a machine.

  I think it's time to change to automated prechecking. For example, one
  feed (237301) was last parsed in June 2005. It's likely that it's
  dead. Another (399333) was last parsed at the end of July, another
  (373887) in the middle of September. Apparently all these feed are dead. 

  We need to define some creteria which tell if a feed is broken or
  dead. For example:

  * the feed hasn't been parsed for 60 days =>dead
  * the feed has some severe XML errors =>invalid
  * the feed does almost contain no ASCII values in the items but claims
  to be in English language =>invalid
  * the feed does not contain any items at all (e.g. 364441) =>invalid
  * ...

  If one or more of these creterias are met the feed does not need to be
  presented to a human reviewer but should be marked dead, or an
  automatic mail should be written to the author telling him about the
  broken XML/RSS/Atom feed, or some other appropriate action should be
  performed.

  I still like the idea of syndic8 that feeds should be reviewed by
  humans, but I think syndic8 is overwhelmed by the number of new feeds.
  The prefiltering of feeds would eliminate a huge amount of definitely
  dead or bad feeds and give the reviewers time to check the feeds which
  are worth it.

  I think there's a need to rethink the concept of syndic8 in some
  parts. Times have changed, so should syndic8.

  Latz








  If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

  To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
  http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
  (here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

  To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit 
http://www.syndic8.com/ 



  SPONSORED LINKS Business finance course  Business to business finance  Small 
business finance  
        Business finance consultant  Business finance magazine  Business 
finance schools  


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS 

    a..  Visit your group "syndic8" on the web.
      
    b..  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      
    c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/IRislB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE: 
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/join
(here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/ 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to