At 12:43 PM 11/2/2000 -0800, malmo wrote:
>  To create the wave of performances at such young ages, before
> > these athletes have traveled to Europe where they might gain
> > access to EPO,
> > would require a concerted effort by a well-organized institution.  Unless
> > Nike or Fila is making such an investment, (and I suspect shareholders
> > would question such expenditures, however hidden, in these
> > countries, even
> > if as "market development;" and why not spend similar money in other
> > countries?), there are no other institutions ready and able.
> >

> > Richard McCann
> >

>Richard, now you're getting warm. Institutional flouting of doping rules.
>It's been done many times before....
>
>THINK
>
>malmo

I am thinking quite clearly.  It makes no sense for a profit-motivated firm
based that derives most of its earnings from sales in the US and Europe to
devote resources in a two nations with per capita income for less than $500
per year and little potential growth in consumer demand.  If Nike or Fila
is doing something this absolutely stupid from a management position, and
the auditors are failing to note the large (must be multi-million) in East
Africa, then Nike stock deserves to plunge even more than it has--and I'm
not making this statement from a moralistic standpoint, but purely from one
of greed.

How Nike or Fila might actually be able to overcome the societal barriers
that have stymied every other institution in the world in developing a
coherent organization in these two nations is yet another thought to consider.

I don't buy into conspiracy theories because the people at the highest
levels of large institutions that I've encountered simply have not been
competent enough to pull such things off.  Willie Brown is the exception
that proves the rule.

Richard McCann