At 12:57 PM 11/2/2000 -0700, P.F.Talbot wrote:
>On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Richard McCann wrote:
> > You only make my point here.  There are virtually NO well-organized,
> > effective institutions in those countries (several of my former ag econ
> > classmates have worked on development projects in Kenya and other African
> > nations).  To create the wave of performances at such young ages, before
> > these athletes have traveled to Europe where they might gain access to EPO,
> > would require a concerted effort by a well-organized institution.  Unless
> > Nike or Fila is making such an investment, (and I suspect shareholders
> > would question such expenditures, however hidden, in these countries, even
> > if as "market development;" and why not spend similar money in other
> > countries?), there are no other institutions ready and able.
>
>I tend to agree that it is unlikely Kenyan teenagers are doping en mass,
>but let us not forget that KAAA is one of the most corupt organizations in
>our sport.
>
>Paul

Corruption is rampant throughout Africa, but that doesn't mean that they
have the organizational wherewithall to implement such a program.  Corrupt
officials tend to line there own pockets in the easiest manner possible,
not to develop an elaborate scheme that lifts the well being of others as
an indirect way of generating personal gain.  Again, something other than
insinuation is required here.

Richard McCann