Marty Post wrote:

> I'd buy the non-versatility argument a lot better if all of Radcliffe's
>> accomplishments were from say 10,000m through marathon.
>> The marathon is 14 times 3000 meters. If Devers is such a great hurdler, why
>> doesn't she do the 400 hurdles? That's only 4 times as far as she's used to
>> and the hurdles are much lower.>>

Hey, if running 14 x farther is the base criterion, why don't we critize
Devers for not being a world-beating 1500 runner? As I said in my original
post, there comes a time where distance running is distance running and
apparent great differences in length don't seem to make all that much
difference in  ability to run fast. History is full of people who kicked ass
at distance races 10-20x apart.

Conversely (ignoring 19th-century runners) has there ever been a world-class
100 man who made it in the 800? Of course not. Nor could one have at 700 or
600, should they exist. A sprinter gets two, maybe three distances in which
to be good. Distance people (partic. if you start calling XC and road 10Ks
yet another accomplisment, as was cited as part of Radcliffe's cv) might get
twice as many.

And most field eventers are locked into one.

I'm not denigrating Radcliffe's achievements, simply saying it's a variation
on a theme. She's one of the gutsiest performers I've ever seen, but that's
not enough.

Before I'd ever vote for her as AOY she'd have to win a major track race.
Sorry, Commonwealth doesn't count, old chaps.