I hope we can come to some sort of agreement on this topic as there are
many large parcels of land here in Thailand that serve various "government"
functions. It seems every time I notice a big, well appointed structure
over here my Thai partner tells me "that's a government building."
Irrigation and dam projects, immigration offices, local and provincial
government administration offices are so common I'm looking for a suitably
generic way to tag them without being compelled to learn the subtle details
of each of them.

I vote yes on the landuse=* tag. As for the value, either one of these
would be fine: civic or public. If we get into NGOs and the differences
between this or that government department, judicial vs prisons, this
conversation is not going to bear fruit. While I agree with what Martin
said about it being desirable to have enough detail to distinguish between
the tax office and the immigration office, I believe there are other ways
to do that already. What I want to see here is some simple, straightforward
way to tag an area that is being used for a government related function,
any government (federal, municipal), any function (tax office, motor
vehicle department), whatever.

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> For example, I'm a foreign resident in Japan. I have to visit the
>> regional offices to renew my visa every year or so. It's always a busy
>> place people have to find. It's not at the city hall, the airport or a
>> border - but it is a really important government office building that needs
>> to labeled differently than a standard office building.
>

> I agree that it would be desirable to have more detail on government
> offices, e.g. being able to distinguish the tax office from the immigration
> office etc. I'd see this under the office tag and not in "landuse". This is
> an enormous pile of work to do, as there are many different kind of these,
> and the detailed structure is different in every country. On the other
> hand, the idea of having a wastewater plant, a fire station, a court and a
> federal ministry categorized the same civic landuse doesn't seem very
> appealing to me. I believe that "civic" might be too generic (but maybe I
> just don't understand this right, hence the question for what is included
> and excluded).
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout