On Tuesday 16 April 2019, Mark Wagner wrote:

> There's a "place=locality" near me called "Seven Mile Airstrip".
> Now, that's an interesting choice of names for the place, because
> there's no evidence that it was ever used for aviation.  The best
> guess I've seen for where the name came from is that it was intended
> as an auxiliary runway for Spokane Army Air Depot during World War
> II, and after construction was canceled, the name stuck around.
>
> What tag would you recommend for "thing people believe is the
> abandoned construction site for a runway that was never built"?

The crux about about abandoned:* is that it is usually only verifiable
as long as physical remains are present.  I don't know this particular
situation but it looks like that is not the case here.  The question
you need to ask yourself is what the name currently refers to and tag
accordingly.  Is it the name of a section of a road ("drive east along
Seven Mile Airstrip"), the name of a neighborhood or parts of it ("i
live in Seven Mile Airstrip"), the name of some kind of common area
("lets have a barbecue tonight at Seven Mile Airstrip"), some patch of
wilderness ("i went hunting yesterday and shot a rabbit at Seven Mile
Airstrip").  If you can clearly give the named feature some kind of
classification of what it is that could also apply to other similar
places with different name elsewhere you should use or create a tag
indicating that.  Only if that is not the case you might use the
generic place=locality - but only if it is actually a verifiably
locatable place and not just a name you have heard from your
grandfather to apply to a place around here somewhere but you can't
really specifiy what it refers to now.

If you look into the database you can find place=locality being used for
a lot of very different things most of which you could clearly classify
more precisely.  A tag like place=locality will likely always exist in
OSM - even if this one is deprecated an alternative would be invented.
But it should be used as sparsely as possible to make the data as
meaningful as possible.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/