On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 13:25:14 +0200
Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> place=locality is currently used as a generic tag for anything with a
> name for which no established more precise tag exists.
>
> This kind of contradicts the idea of OSM which would normally suggest
> to invent a new tag then for the type of feature you have.
> Subtagging the generic tag to make it less generic would kind of take
> this to a whole new level.  You could take this even further and
> suggest tagging everything in OSM something like 'feature=thing' and
> then differentiating only through 'thing=*'.
>
> Long story short - to better differentiate what is currently tagged
> place=locality the way to go is IMO to create more specific top level
> tags (or use existing ones like the mentioned "disused:/abandonded:").

There's a "place=locality" near me called "Seven Mile Airstrip".  Now,
that's an interesting choice of names for the place, because there's no
evidence that it was ever used for aviation.  The best guess I've seen
for where the name came from is that it was intended as an auxiliary
runway for Spokane Army Air Depot during World War II, and after
construction was canceled, the name stuck around.

What tag would you recommend for "thing people believe is the abandoned
construction site for a runway that was never built"?

--
Mark