On 24/05/2019 23:47, Nick Bolten wrote:
Of course, but this won't help new users asking questions. They will still have a negative experience.

New users asking questions probably fall more within the remit of the help site ("how do I do X") rather than this list ("how should we change OSM's tagging to better represent X").  Before asking there I'd also suggest a quick scan of https://stackoverflow.com/help/how-to-ask first - although OSM's help site is far less prescriptive than StackOverflow in terms of how to ask questions and what sorts of questions are permitted. If someone's first language isn't English and there's a community for that language in e.g. the OSM forum I'd suggest asking there instead.

You say "They will still have a negative experience" as if it's guaranteed, but without further evidence about what was actually said and how the experience was perceived to be negative it's difficult to comment further.  I'm sure that it is possible to have a negative experience here* (and in any other OSM or non-OSM forum), but simply stating that "they will still have a negative experience" doesn't allow anyone to understand what went wrong and how everyone can do better next time.

Best Regards,

Andy

*to be honest, the list volume can be a bit much (regardless of content).  I make more use of "move messages matching X to a folder unread" and "mark entire thread as read" for this list than any other OSM one.