On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 01:29, Tobias Zwick <o...@westnordost.de> wrote:

[Reasonable points, so far]

> 3. Moderation and Edits.
>
> 3.1 Edit: Every now and then, people derail verbally, it happens. We are
> all humans. So, to be able to edit your post after you realized that you
> shouldn't have said something inflammatory, abusive or stupid, is important.

That one is problematic.  Well-meant, but problematic.  It solves some
problems but introduces others.

The first problem is thread-detachment if somebody is allowed to delete a
post or edit it to
oblivion (which is pretty much the same thing).  You may end up with a lot
of replies that make
little or no sense without the thing they're replying to.  You can't
automatically delete all the replies
because some of those responses may have made useful contributions that
stand alone.

The second problem is malicious editing.  Posting something then, after
many have responded,
editing your post to make the responses look stupid.  I've seen that happen
in similar systems.
A history function would prevent that, but would also reveal stuff that
people deleted for valid
reasons and is best left unseen

A partial, not very effective solution, is to not permit editing or
deleting after a response has been
made.  That fixes some of the problems above but introduces others.  It
probably makes the
situation slightly worse, overall.  YouTube comments had it at one point
but they no longer do.

All the  problems can be solved with more effort from moderators.  Do we
have enough people with
enough spare time?

What you propose might be better than the mailing list.  Or it might not.
We won't know unless
we try it.  I'm not sure you'll overcome the inertia to replace the mailing
list and might end
up partitioning the community.  Worthy of consideration but I'm not
entirely sold on the current
incarnation of the idea.

--
Paul